Nvidia: replacing a monitor and upgrading the Nvidia board

Two issues, same territory;
I have a long-running system (FreeBSD 13.2-RELEASE-p2 GENERIC amd64) that has always run two monitors from a GeForce GT 1030.
Up to now, everything has run more or less flawlessly, but to be honest it's so long ago, I can barely remember installing it.
One of the monitors has partially failed, so I need to:
  1. Replace the failing monitor
  2. Eventually (soon) replace / upgrade the Nvidia board
I've searched for advice, but it looks like this is a fairly rare question.
So any advice on how to do this / what to watch out for and keep the system usable in the meantime?

Thanks.

So any advice on how to do this / what to watch out for and keep the system usable in the meantime?
You might want to turn off "Twinview" if you have that enabled. So it'll only use the one working monitor. GT 1030 uses graphics/nvidia-driver, any new card 20x0, 30x0 or 40x0 would use the same driver, so just turn off the machine, replace the card and turn it back on. Everything should work, no changes.

(FreeBSD 13.2-RELEASE-p2 GENERIC amd64)
You're going to need to upgrade to 13.3 or 14.1 though, 13.2 is now EoL.

You might want to turn off "Twinview" if you have that enabled. So it'll only use the one working monitor. GT 1030 uses graphics/nvidia-driver, any new card 20x0, 30x0 or 40x0 would use the same driver, so just turn off the machine, replace the card and turn it back on. Everything should work, no changes.

You're going to need to upgrade to 13.3 or 14.1 though, 13.2 is now EoL.
Many thanks, knew I could rely on the advice from this list.

Thanks for SirDice and Alain De Vos, replacing the monitor was surprisingly easy.
However, to others reading this for ideas, I did run into two snags that were caused by inexperience on this particular road.
  1. Beware old connectors - my HDMI connectors needed to be cleaned up and firmly plugged in.
  2. Make sure your new monitor is turned on. There will be a switch somewhere, but don't expect the manual (in my case HP) to be clear where it is.
    It's probably on the bottom right of the monitor somewhere.
    But beware, even when the monitor is switched off, nvidia-settings will report on the make, model etc., leading you to believe it is turned on when it isn't.
Other than that, a breeze.

Back