nVidia ION Supported?

ajo, that "root mount error" is not a bug. That's just the kernel telling you it wasn't able to mount the root file system, and I guess that would happen if device entries change.

It would be helpful if you can post a screen shot or dmesg log of the bootup messages.

Well I assumed it was to be considered a bug since it worked before and upon updating it didn't.

I don't know how to get a dmesg from the box since I can't boot it (maybe there's some solution to that?). The closest thing I've got is photos taken of the boot process - it didn't catch everything, but hopefully most of it. I've attached them to this post.

What I've tried to do since my last post is to change the 'vfs.boot.mountfrom' from ad4s1a to ad4p1a, and also tried to boot from all ad* options listed in the '?'-command at the mountroot-prompt - and there's only three; ad4p2, ad4p1 and ad4.

Attachments

• IMG_2076.jpg
    IMG_2076.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 491
  • IMG_2077.jpg
    IMG_2077.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 431
  • IMG_2078.jpg
    IMG_2078.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 429
  • IMG_2079.jpg
    IMG_2079.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 420
  • IMG_2080.jpg
    IMG_2080.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 454
Very strange. Do you have another FreeBSD system that is working? I'm thinking it might be easier to just put that drive into another system and label your file systems instead. Once labeled you can mount them by label name rather than by hardware name.

I had similar problems when I tried to install FreeBSD next to Windows on my POV. If your system is dedicated to FreeBSD only. I think, it should give you any problems

BIOS settings:
There's too many options to list here. But before booting, when I took the pictures (I've tried "all" sorts of BIOS-settings), I selected "Restore to Safe Settings" in the BIOS and then did the changes suggested by fbsd_fuse - i.e. SATA -> AHCI and disabling USB 2.0.
Is there any particular setting(s) that you'd like to know about?

FreeBSD box:
This is my only FreeBSD box. And I don't have any other (without important data) to test it on. But I could try to see if I could mount the HDD into a Windows box and then write the labels from a PC-BSD VM - but doing that is like asking for more trouble, so only if there's no other choice.

This system is completely dedicated to FreeBSD. Nothing else is on it!

I had a look at my bios settings. Here are mine...
Code:
On chip SATA Type: AHCI
AHCI DID for Linux: Disabled
All USB devices are enabled.
I suggest you try with the SATA mode enabled first. See if that works.

I've tried with SATA and AHCI. Same boot result, but HDD is run as UDMA33 on SATA and SATA-150 on AHCI.

I find it quite hard to find out what's really wrong. I don't have that much experience of FreeBSD alone, though I have some experience with the userland-kernel glue of Windows and Mac OS X and their kernels.

What I find strange is that it's not possible to enter: ufs:ad4p2a or ufs:/dev/ad4p2 (or with an "a" at the end) in the mountroot-prompt to get it to boot. If the labels are changed from ad4s2a to ad4p2a (?) then one of these should work, right?

The devices are listed in /etc/fstab as ad4s2*, and also the devices get listed as disk0s2* in the boot prompt (by pressing 6 after the boot loader).

I really appreciate all of your help. But it would be even better if I got it to work.
What is the problem with my FreeBSD box? And where has it gone wrong?

In addition to Aragons comments... When you were dropped in mountroot. A message told you what slice cannot be mounted. Do you remember what slice that was? The only scenario I can think off. Is that 1 or 2 slices already were screwed before you booted your machine.

As you can see in the last "screenshot" it's the ad4s1a that can't be mounted.

The FreeBSD 7.2 that was running before the update worked flawlessly (and was succesfully rebooted a couple of times just before the update) so IF the slices were screwed it happend at freebsd-update install, before last 7.2 reboot.

re post # 27 in this thread...
(Not enough /dev entries?)
I found more /dev entries were shown
if geom_bsd.ko, geom_mbr.ko , and
geom_label.ko were loaded. (_v8)
Someone might post here on how to load them
at the boot prompt, or if putting them in
/boot/loader.conf would allow the
boot to proceed from the initial menu...
/edit:/
The "not enough entries" may be related to the problems I had
installing an iso _v8 daily snapshot onto a pci-sata disk. (I
was still running v7, but it might not have mattered, the
CD was running IIRC.) If I had known the syntax below: "load..."
that might have solved it. (One screen in sysinstall showed no
devices at the top of the screen despite /dev/ad10 or /dev/da10 having
BSD filesystems (165) on it already via the shareware BootIt.).
And to-disk operations errored out with, "no devices found for..."
or something. Maybe the info in this thread could fix that type
of problem in _8 or _9 if it is not fixed already...

• Thanks
Reactions: ajo
@jb_fvwm2:
I tried to start the boot prompt and then performed the following:

# load /boot/kernel/geom_bsd.ko
load /boot/kernel/geom_mbr.ko
load /boot/kernel/geom_label.ko
boot

And it works perfectly! =)
I'll see if I can get it into /boot/loader.conf too.

Thank you very much for your help!!

EDIT:
Appending the following to /boot/loader.conf also worked!

geom_bsd_load="YES"
geom_mbr_load="YES"
geom_label_load="YES

ASUS AT3N7A-I / 3ware 9500S-4LP

Hi,

I plan to get a ASUS AT3N7A-I - any experience with this board?
And - did someone ever tried using a 3ware controler with an ION board?
Right now my fileserver runs an old Intel L440GX Server board where the 3ware 9500S-4LP works fine. I planned to upgrade the system with my old desktop equipment (a socket 939 board with an Athlon64 3500+) but the 3ware controller does not work with it. I'm always getting "Waiting for 3ware controller to initialize" on bootup and then the system hangs. The 3ware support just said "your board might just be incompatible" - great response.

I now wonder if I'll face the same error with an ASUS AT3N7A-I and if not how good the hardware support for the rest of the devices is...

Back