nvidia drivers with xorg (for NVS 5200M)

I recently updated the packages on my freebsd 12.1 laptop (a Dell Latitude E6530) that has an nvidia NVS 5200M graphics card. The update included updates to the nvidia-driver package and since then I haven't been able to start xorg (I've been using mate and the setup worked before the update). Any pointers would be greatly appreciated ... also if these should have been posted in the hardware thread please feel free to let me know as well.

Thanks! I'm kind of confused because I did a fresh install and didn't see the typical linux dependencies downloaded in the install ... I also removed the 'linux_enable="YES"' from /etc/rc.conf to play with it ... and it didn't seem to have an effect.
Is the dependency now built in or is it coming from having hald and dbus enabled?

What I mean is that the nvidia.ko kernel module has a dependency on the linux.ko kernel module recorded somewhere in its metadata. Thus FreeBSD is obliged to ensure that linux.ko is loaded before nvidia.ko can be used. Even if you didn't enable Linux emulation support in rc.conf, FreeBSD will load that module anyway.

Back