Solved Nvidia driver doesn`t work

Please help, I want to use FreeBSD so bad. This is my /var/log/Xorg.0.log at https://bsd.to/6t6h

My /boot/loader.conf is as follows:

Code:
kern.geom.label.disk_ident.enable="0"
kern.geom.label.gptid.enable="0"
cryptodev_load="YES"
zfs_load="YES"
nvidia_load="YES"

And the /etc/rc.conf:

Code:
hostname="bluray"
keymap="br.kbd"
ifconfig_re0="DHCP"
sshd_enable="YES"
ntpdate_enable="YES"
# Set dumpdev to "AUTO" to enable crash dumps, "NO" to disable
dumpdev="AUTO"
zfs_enable="YES"
dbus_enable="YES"
hald_enable="YES"
sddm_enable="YES"
kld_list="nvidia"

Remove nvidia_load="YES" from loader.conf, use kld_list="nvidia-modeset" in rc.conf. And add a /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/driver-nvidia.conf:
Code:
Section "Device"
  Identifier "Nvidia"
  Driver "nvidia"
EndSection

Remove hald_enable="YES" from rc.conf. HAL doesn't exist anymore.

Thanks bruhs. I'm dumb, I realized I hadn't generated the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file hence X wasn't using the nvidia driver. I did `pkg install nvidia-xconfig` then run `nvidia-xconfig` and now it's working, yay! Sorry for the stupid thread.

Nothing about xorg.conf is deprecated or even not recommended. (Xorg itself is considered obsolete, so there is no demand for any kind of cleanup, other than the Wayland compatibility changes.)

Although xorg.conf might not be "officially deprecated", it for sure is not required anymore in the vast majority of setups and it tends to make things more difficult / less flexible.
So you can at least say "creating xorg.conf is a deprecated procedure".

FWIW, considering that Xorg never bothers to tell you which settings it has automatically selected, my personal recommendation is to always specify the driver section, otherwise the random jumps between accelerated and non-accelerated drivers might be very confusing. Xorg is a user hostile piece of software and it should be treated as such.

Yeah nothing against creating sections, e.g. for drivers, in xorg.conf.d.
Just a full /etc/X11/xorg.conf seems outdated to me.

shkhln Not a circle jerk. I see this constantly. Someone can't install commonly used software or can't get it working. Ask them what they were following to install it. 9/10 they were either winging it or following some random guy on the internet and never looked at the Handbook or knew of its existence.

Remove nvidia_load="YES" from loader.conf, use kld_list="nvidia-modeset" in rc.conf. And add a /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/driver-nvidia.conf:
Code:
Section "Device"
  Identifier "Nvidia"
  Driver "nvidia"
EndSection

Remove hald_enable="YES" from rc.conf. HAL doesn't exist anymore.
I changed to your method and it's working, thanks again. Sorry for necro'ing the thread, I just want you to know you solved my problem.

You can, as the thread originator, mark it solved by going to the first post, clicking edit, and going to the title. You'll see that you're able to add or edit a prefix. Don't feel stupid. This one way people learn, by making an error and learning the better way. As this thread will probably get plenty of web searches, I'll mention that another reason for NVidia problems is having an older card--in which case, rather than installing the nvidia-driver, one has to install nvidia-driver-470 (or lower number, depending upon the age of the card).
That had nothing to do with your problem, but I add it for people who do a web search for nvidia freebsd and wind up coming to this thread.

You can, as the thread originator, mark it solved by going to the first post, clicking edit, and going to the title. You'll see that you're able to add or edit a prefix. Don't feel stupid. This one way people learn, by making an error and learning the better way. As this thread will probably get plenty of web searches, I'll mention that another reason for NVidia problems is having an older card--in which case, rather than installing the nvidia-driver, one has to install nvidia-driver-470 (or lower number, depending upon the age of the card).
That had nothing to do with your problem, but I add it for people who do a web search for nvidia freebsd and wind up coming to this thread.
Thank you. The problem is the edit function isn't appearing for my original post, I don't know why. :(

Hrmm, the post is marked solved. I'm not sure what happened, it may be that the post can't be edited after a period of time, but I don't know if that's correct, and if it is, what the time period is. At any rate, the thread is marked solved.

Back