nvidia-driver 4xx no board identification during boot

One thing I noticed after having updated x11/nvidia-driver from 390.87 to the more recent 4xx series driver is that it doesn't show the boards identifaction during boot anymore. Other than that the driver seems to be working perfectly fine.

Driver version 390.87 used to display:
Code:
nvidia0: <GeForce GTX 670> on vgapci0
Whereas current 440.31 shows up as:
Code:
nvidia0: <Unknown> on vgapci0
Should I be worried or are others seeing this behaviour also?

Code:
% dmesg | grep nvidia
nvidia-modeset: Loading NVIDIA Kernel Mode Setting Driver for UNIX platforms  440.31  Sun Oct 27 02:07:28 UTC 2019
nvidia0: <Unknown> on vgapci0
vgapci0: child nvidia0 requested pci_enable_io
vgapci0: child nvidia0 requested pci_enable_io

Doesn't seem to impact anything, though.

Doesn't seem to impact anything, though.
No, I got KDE5 plasma running without a problem, I can watch videos using VDPAU and none of the few games I got on FreeBSD did complain either. Also the same machine runs Windows 10, Steam and Games with a fairly recent nvidia driver without any problem too. The <unknown> thing seems to be a problem introduced in the 4xx series of nvidia's drivers, as I remember having played around with the 410/412 driver versions some time ago (downloaded directly from nvidia, not from ports) and those too would not identify the board but other than that worked fine. At that time I decided to go with the 390.87 version from ports as the 410/412 versions did not seem to give any added benefit.

No FreeBSD upgrades since then?
Most of the improvements are related to Vulkan and PRIME (Optimus) support.
Probably a few, including the recent upgrade from releng/12.0 to releng/12.1. The motivation to try drivers directly downloaded from nvidia was because of the port not seeing any updates from 390.87 in quite some time until just recently, although 4xx versions had been available. But in the end it just felt more comfortable to go with the "supported" version from the ports tree.

Back