nvidia 8400GS 64-bit driver install

A

Anonymous

I incautiously bought an EVGA 8400GS card because it only draws ~30W. But it's not recognised by Xorg.

Nvidia have a driver for many of their cards including this one (NVIDIA-FreeBSD-x86_64-304.51.tar.gz) but they seem not to have tested their (needlessly-complicated) makefile, since it breaks when run.

Before I do the work of debugging it, has someone else perhaps already done that?

So is it recognised by whatever version of Xorg that 9.1 loads? It certainly wasn't recognised by 8.3's

(edit) Wait...304.64? Two days ago I got 304.41 (iirc) and just noticed today that it's .51. What's going on?

I built the default x11/xorg-7.5.2 from the ports tree on the 9.1 amd64 systems. I made sure that the linux emulator was loaded before trying to build the x11/nvidia-driver port. I added the line
Code:
nvidia_load="YES"
to /boot/loader.conf, and configured Xorg to use the driver using the x11/nvidia-xconfig port.

I can't remember much about 8.3 on amd64. The only system I still have running 8-stable is on i386 and using nvidia-driver-304.43. Same deal for building and configuring as on 9.1, though.

The ports tree I updated with portsnap today still has x11/nvidia-driver at 304.64.

Gee, that's weird. Thanks for the information -- I'll have to re-do the install to see whether I can figure out what went wrong.

Nvidia's current rev of the driver (I just fetched a copy) is 310.19, revved last month. They have their driver support set up in such a strange way that googling for the driver gets an almost random page.

Stick to using the port. If you want to use a newer driver simply change the version numbers in the Makefile and run make makesum.

Back