Solved ntpd error

Hello guys,

after booted my PC, I received the message:
Code:
ntpd[547]: error resolving pool 0.freebsd.pool.ntp.org: hostname nor servername provided, or not known
Maybe is it means that the internet connection doesn't work ?

Please, how can I check if my internet connection is up ?
I've tried with: ping google.com, receiving the message:cannot resolve google.com: Hostname lookup failure.

Is there a more performant method to check if the internet connection is on/off ?

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

Last edited:
There are two problems here, the first is a failure to resolve DNS names, as indicated by the errors. The other may be the connection itself, if there's no network connection DNS resolving obviously won't work either. Look at the output of ifconfig check if your interfaces have proper IP addresses. Then look at the routing table; netstat -rn and try to ping the default gateway by IP address. Then ping 8.8.8.8 (Google DNS servers) for example. Only if all this works check name resolving settings in /etc/resolv.conf.

Diagnose things step by step. Don't try and cut corners, check each step methodically and you'll quickly find where the actual error is.

Hello guys,

as you surely know, typing 192.168.1.1 in the address bar of a web browser, you can connect with your router, then giving "admin" "admin", you can open its interface to configure network parameters.

Please, can you tell me in which a way I can do the same using FreeBSD ? Which command I need to use to connect with it and launchin the "reset" command inside it ? I use a TP-Link router.

Thanks very much in advance !

as you surely know, typing 192.168.1.1 in the address bar of a web browser, you can connect with your router, then giving "admin" "admin", you can open its interface to configure network parameters.
That's true for some routers, not all. At least the password must be changed to something stronger before you connect it to the outside world.
The default IP adress and the username/password of your router should be in it's documentation or sometimes it's printed onto the
bottem of the device, too.

Thanks Jacker ... really both login and password on my router are "admin"; however:

1 - if I want connect with it remotely how can I do in FreeBSD ?

2 - and if I want launch by remote the reboot command, which command I need to use in FreeBSD ?

Thanks in advance.

Hei Vince66,
you really shouldn't use/keep the default settings of your router as they are braindead insecure.
While the webinterface on many routers isn't available from the external interface (internet) by default, the admin/admin login is still unacceptable.

Since you want to access your router's webinterface from the internet it's important that it supports https.
So you have to check if you can access it from your local network via https://192.168.1.1. If yes, you're fine.

To make clear how important it is to have strong login credentials, I refuse to help you any further until you change your routers password,
and I'm pretty sure everyone else will do so, too.

Greetings
Matthias

Only if all this works check name resolving settings in /etc/resolv.conf.
Only to be clear and give the solution:

to solve the problem, /etc/resolv.conf should be modified uncommenting the line showing the IP Address of the Access Point.

In any case,

thanks very much.

Back