Other NTFS External USB HDD

Hello everyone, I'm a new comer, previous was on Linux, Looks like I'm really new to FreeBSD's concepts and core functionalists, what concern me that my external hdd cannot be seen as any other flash memory I have, it's formatted NTFS. Size: 1TB.
Code:
$ camcontrol devlist
<WD Elements 1048 1025>  at scbus4 target 0 lun 0 (pass2)

I do not know why I cannot see what its dev name beside that (pass2)

:(

My guess is that it needs a usb_quirk(4) of some sort. Many of these devices have dual functionality where one of them is a mass storage device and the other one is often a CD-ROM (emulation) with drivers and software. When you first plug these devices in the device is in the CD-ROM mode so that the user can install software and drivers if needed and only when the drivers are installed the device is switched to mass storage mode.

My guess is that it needs a usb_quirk(4) of some sort. Many of these devices have dual functionality where one of them is a mass storage device and the other one is often a CD-ROM (emulation) with drivers and software. When you first plug these devices in the device is in the CD-ROM mode so that the user can install software and drivers if needed and only when the drivers are installed the device is switched to mass storage mode.

Nope, it is not related to usb_quirk :(

Run tail -f /var/log/messages then plugin the device. Post what is printed when you plug it in.

Please, could you tell us which version of FreeBSD you are using ?

tail -f /var/log/messages output:
Code:
Mar  4 21:44:20 vb67rg5jo kernel: ugen6.2: <Western Digital> at usbus6
Mar  4 21:44:20 vb67rg5jo kernel: umass0: <MSC Bulk-Only Transport> on usbus6
Mar  4 21:44:20 vb67rg5jo kernel: umass0:  SCSI over Bulk-Only; quirks = 0x4101
Mar  4 21:44:20 vb67rg5jo kernel: umass0:4:0:-1: Attached to scbus4
Mar  4 21:44:28 vb67rg5jo kernel: (da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): got CAM status 0x44
Mar  4 21:44:28 vb67rg5jo kernel: (da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): fatal error, failed to attach to device

FreeBSD:
10.1-RELEASE-p19

I own 2 external USB HDDs from WD and before FreeBSD 10.2-RELEASE, I had to compile a custom kernel after having modified two files :
/usr/src/sys/dev/usb/usbdevs
Code:
product WESTERN ELEMENTS1042  0x1042  Elements 1042 External HDD
/usr/src/sys/dev/usb/quirk/usb_quirk.c
Code:
  USB_QUIRK(WESTERN, ELEMENTS1042, 0x0000, 0xffff, UQ_MSC_FORCE_WIRE_BBB,
    UQ_MSC_FORCE_PROTO_SCSI, UQ_MSC_NO_INQUIRY_EVPD,
    UQ_MSC_NO_SYNC_CACHE),
You should replace Vendor ID and Product ID with yours.

I don't need to compile a custom kernel since FreeBSD 10.2-RELEASE, my external USB HDD are working out of the box.

Actually , I was on 10.2 (PC-BSD) and got the same thing, then I installed 10.1 (GhostBSD) and got the same thing as well.

Back