Solved nothing

No I see that too.
Code:
root@DELL:~ # freebsd-update fetch
Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 4 mirrors found.
Fetching metadata signature for 11.0-RELEASE from update5.freebsd.org... done.
Fetching metadata index... done.
Inspecting system... done.
Preparing to download files... done.

No updates needed to update system to 11.0-RELEASE-p8.

WARNING: FreeBSD 11.0-RELEASE-p8 is approaching its End-of-Life date.
It is strongly recommended that you upgrade to a newer
release within the next 2 months.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha-ha, so now that's why it just occurred to me today that it would not hurt to make a fresh install... from STABLE. Related to some strange problems I'm experiencing, but seems to fit in well with this other stuff here.
With synth packages and ZFS it won't have to be too difficult.

Meantime I've built STABLE (as of yesterday) and installed it into a new root. Installed all my synth prebuilt packages into that system and -- previously built xorg-server segfaults. Or is it x11/nvidia-driver? Anyway, startx command I normally use to start my fvwm2 session resuits in system reboot.

Ha-ha, so now that's why it just occurred to me today that it would not hurt to make a fresh install... from STABLE. Related to some strange problems I'm experiencing, but seems to fit in well with this other stuff here.

That is interesting that you say that, because I was thinking exactly the same. Also a lot of strange things happened to me. In my Mate environment Caja uninstalled itself just like that, and also a rollback of a recent snapshot did not reinstate Caja. And after I reinstalled Caja, I could not get open as administrator working, though I also reinstalled caja-extensions of which all other functions were working fine, exept for open as administrator

But as I am a FreeBSD newbie I thought that maybe I had configured some things wrong. Therefore just today I was preparing everything (backups etc, because I also did not trust ZFS anymore) to do a complete fresh install. But now it appears release 11.0 is buggy?

Next to the fact that I have to do an enormous amount of port upgrades it does not make much sense for me to do a fresh upgrade at the moment, as I also don't trust an upgrade from 11.0 to 11.1 anymore. No way that I will do an upgrade from 11.0 to 11.1

I really lost a lot of time trying to fix things, that probably could not be fixed at all :-(

I will absolutely only do a fresh install of release 11.1. Which also means I can't do much until release 11.1 is available. I hope that that comes very soon. Anybody here who knows when that could be?

Meantime I've built STABLE (as of yesterday) and installed it into a new root. Installed all my synth prebuilt packages into that system and -- previously built xorg-server segfaults. Or is it x11/nvidia-driver? Anyway, startx command I normally use to start my fvwm2 session resuits in system reboot.
Yes, it definitely is Xorg seg fault, seems to be caused by /lib/libthr.so, this is clearly seem with Xorg -configure command.
In addition to the above I can only add that I've rebuilt all the packages under STABLE, just for the purity sake. The same thing.

Yes, it definitely is Xorg seg fault, seems to be caused by /lib/libthr.so, this is clearly seem with Xorg -configure command.
In addition to the above I can only add that I've rebuilt all the packages under STABLE, just for the purity sake. The same thing.
Sorry, I am a newbie. But do you mean that when I do Xorg -configure and I get the message Server is already active for display 0 that this is caused by the segmentation fault?
And that this also could be the cause of this?
In my Mate environment Caja uninstalled itself just like that, and also a rollback of a recent snapshot did not reinstate Caja.
If so, is there a solution to fix this?

BonHomme No, no. Yours is an "error message" and the basic explanation can be found by googling.

Segfault or crash is when in reply to your command Xorg -configure (or any other) you see on your screen something similar to this:
Code:
1   segfault                            0x000000010d0a99d0 _Z10catchCrashi + 16
2   libsystem_c.dylib                   0x00007fff99b5dcfa _sigtramp + 26
3   ???                                 0x00007fff00000000 0x0 + 140733193388032
4   segfault                            0x000000010d0a9c67 _ZN7Crasher11doSomethingEv + 71
5   segfault                            0x000000010d0a9880 _Z5crashPv + 32
6   segfault                            0x000000010d0a9ac7 _Z7goCrashv + 199
7   segfault                            0x000000010d0a9b33 main + 67
8   segfault                            0x000000010d0a9854 start + 52
Xorg has stopped working due to segmentation fault.
(the strange symbols here are actually copy-pasted from Internet as an example of how it would look and have nothing to do with the Xorg crash I'm having)

OK, I'm still running 11.0-RELEASE-p1. Ran freebsd-update fetch, like every few days, today got this message:
"No updates needed to update system to 11.0-RELEASE-p8."

What does that mean? Clearly, I can not do freebsd-update -r 11.0-RELEASE upgrade (cannot upgrade to itself); more surprisingly, I can not do freebsd-update -r 11.0-RELEASE-p8 upgrade either, although that version does seem to exist in the wild (judging by mentions on web searches). Signed: confused.

Thanks! Now both kernel and user land are at ...p8. The above message is pretty hard to understand, but in the end everything works.

I'm pretty new to this BSD community, only since, September 28th 2015.

Welcome Friend.

I'm probably interpreting everything wrong here, but is this new release, the release of BSD... as in the actual BSD. Hopefully this will make some sense to everyone...

The final release of the original BSD was 4.4BSD-Lite Release 2, back in 1995, and FreeBSD's the most common modern Unix-like operating system which descended directly from the original BSD--so the two are connected in terms of code lineage.

To learn more about BSD history, buy Kirk McKusick's history video. I have a copy of this, and I've watched it at least three times back-to-back already. Kirk McKusick is an amazing, giving person and a wonderful entertainer.

https://www.mckusick.com/history/videoorderform.html

One of the things that impressed me the most about this, is that Kirk sent me a personal e-mail thanking me for the order. It was a real honor for me to receive that mail.

Since we're sort of on the subject... I'm pretty new, too. Is there a site somewhere that says when the patch level is updated? The only way I can find is to do a freebsd-update fetch. I'm not usually always logged into my server, so it would be nice if there were a website or rss feed or announcement list or even a twitter account that I could follow for when this is updated.

FWIW, I saw the "11.0 EOL" message the other day, too, but not later that day, so I assumed it was just a quirk.

Thank you for these. I haven't seen anywhere that a Security Advisory results in a patchlevel increase. While searching, I would see that security advisories page, but I never put two and two together.

I had been seeking some sort of note in the Handbook that mentioned what "RELEASE-Px" meant. Or maybe a note on freebsd.org titled something like "11.0-RELEASE updated to P9", with an ensuing note mentioning the "why". Now I'll know better.

Cheers!

This thread went already off-topic by message #5, please may we close it. I marked my initial post as solved. I am not willing to support any more messages like the previous one on my thread. If this thread won't be closed within 24 h, I will delete my initial post.

Last edited:
I'm still interested in why I'm getting this message. The posts in this thread are so scattered and mixed up that I am unable to find the answer, if it is indeed there. So, do I actually need to consider upgrading from 11.0-RELEASE now?

To what? There's no newer release. It's still a long way off to 11.1 and until then 11.0 is a supported version.

Thanks, so the message from the OS upon update is an error.

Back