Noobish transparency question

Hi, I'm new to FreeBSD and I would like to get some help on a problem that has been bugging me for some time. I have installed x11, I'm using BlackBox window manager and xterm for my consoles. I managed to create my own style and to set it as default, the thing I want to do next is to make all unfocused windows transparent, but i do not know how to do that. I would be very grateful to anybody who can help me with this. I've read on other topics that it may be impossible to be done with xterm, but I do not know how to remove it and how to install something else that would work. If anyone knows how to do that please give me a step by step explanation + the commands i need to write, cause I'm still a noob in FreeBSD and it would be quite hard for me to understand the more advanced users of this system. Thanks in advance :)

killasmurf86 said:
for other window transparency
x11-wm/xcompmgr and x11-wm/transset-df

thanks for the quick response, but could you be more specific as to what i must do because i really can not find my way around freeBSD and I need a more like step by step explanation of what i must do. I can make install these but what should i do after that or even before that, and how should I use them to make them work, is there anything i need to deinstall before i install them??

simply install, then read man pages for those apps, and figure out how to integrate them in your Window Manager
Or if manpages aren't available run them with --help argument

I don't use blackbox, I only know fvwm

Thank you both for the help, it really worked, I installed xcompmgr and transset-df and now i kave control over the transparency of the windows. I would like to ask how to make only the focused window non-transparent and all the other not-focused windows transparent??? I believe it's something to do with transset-df but in the help menu it does not say how to do that, it only says that I can make the window that I'm pointing to transparent or the window that I click on, it does not say anything about focused and not-focused windows.

From the link I see that I have to use the eutotrans.rb script but it doesn't say how to use it exactly - should I take it and paste it in my transset-df file???

No, I won't analyse it. try running that script, try --help on that script, check the source, maybe there you will figure you how to use it

don't forget to run chmod +x on that script, so you can execute it

EDIT:
Try figuring how it works yourself, this way you will learn. It's pointless for us to tell you how to do everything

thank you for your help, I believe I figured it out, I managed to run the script and now I'm adding it to the start up list of my system, it works like a charm :) I owe you a beer :beer :D

Back