• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

NomadBSD - a live system based on FreeBSD 11.1

mrclksr

Hi community,

for testing my software on different computers, I've created a live system (live USB), based on FreeBSD 11.1. See https://github.com/mrclksr/NomadBSD for more information.

An image for amd64 can be found here here. Write the image to a flash drive as follows (set of= accordingly):
Code:
# lzma -d nomadbsd.img.lzma
# dd if=nomadbsd.img of=/dev/da0 bs=1m conv=sync

Last edited:

malco_2001

mrclksr BTW I took a slightly different approach over the last several weeks with "Comet" which I posted a link to in another thread in General.

That desktop looks very nice. It looks like it goes along with another idea I have been having to combine a bunch of tools networkmgr, virtual_oss_ctl, and sysutils/automount into a minimal desktop expereince. Is that your intention as well?

Snurg

Aspiring Daemon

mrclksr and malco_2001
I find both your projects very interesting and inspiring.
This is going into the direction of integrating the various desktops into FreeBSD.
To be able to try out the full desktop experience using a live DVD or stick is a great thing for every OS!

My first thought when I looked the nomadbsd github page was, "cool idea, even I would like a well-configured and from-the-scratch usable DVD bootable live system that enables me to repair things more comfortably than with repair shells only."
Haven't tried it yet. I see you have done a custom kernel. Is that necessary?
Because, that could cause problems when one tries to test whether a machine behaves well under FreeBSD using Nomad, and then it turns out that this is not the case with the GENERIC one.

And, can the whole thing be configured to use only RAM disk (making it a full live DVD system, too) and be burned to DVD?

mrclksr

mrclksr

Haven't tried it yet. I see you have done a custom kernel. Is that necessary?
Because, that could cause problems when one tries to test whether a machine behaves well under FreeBSD using Nomad, and then it turns out that this is not the case with the GENERIC one.
A custom kernel is not necessary, but the build systems provides a simple way to build and install one if you want to make your own image. The default is the GENERIC kernel.

And, can the whole thing be configured to use only RAM disk (making it a full live DVD system, too) and be burned to DVD?
That's possible, but there is no automatism for that purpose.

balanga

Daemon

Hi community,

for testing my software on different computers, I've created a live system (live USB), based on FreeBSD 11.1. See https://github.com/mrclksr/NomadBSD for more information.

An image for amd64 can be found here. Write the image to a flash drive as follows (set of= accordingly):
I've just tried it and am amazed that I can install FreeBSD with a builtin GUI so effortlessly.

I'd like to copy it onto my multiboot hard disk but not sure to go about it since gpart show da0 gives me this:
Code:
=>      63  65535937  da0  MBR  (31G)
        63   7405902    1  freebsd  [active]  (3.5G)
   7405965  58130035       - free -  (28G)

=>      63  65535937  diskid/DISK-000000000819  MBR  (31G)
        63   7405902                         1  freebsd  [active]  (3.5G)
   7405965  58130035                            - free -  (28G)

=>      0  7405902  da0s1  BSD  (3.5G)
        0       16         - free -  (8.0K)
       16  7143742      1  !0  (3.4G)
  7143758   262144      2  freebsd-swap  (128M)

=>      0  7405902  diskid/DISK-000000000819s1  BSD  (3.5G)
        0       16                              - free -  (8.0K)
       16  7143742                           1  !0  (3.4G)
  7143758   262144                           2  freebsd-swap  (128M)
That slice with a partition type of !0 is confusing...

Can I just mount /dev/da0s1a onto a new partition on my hard disk and copy the files, add a grub entry and expect to be able to boot NomadBSD from my hard disk (after making appropriate changes to /etc/fstab )?

mrclksr

I'd like to copy it onto my multiboot hard disk
Let's say you want to install NomadBSD on adaXsY. Download the latest image from here (it also contains /var/db/pkg/, which is what you want if you intend to (de-)install packages in your installation). Then
Code:
# lzma -d nomadbsd-1.img.lzma
# mkdir /mnt/src
# mkdir /mnt/dest
# newfs -U /dev/adaXsY
# mount /dev/adaXsY /mnt/dest
# mdconfig -f nomadbsd-1.img
# mount /dev/md0s1a /mnt/src
# kldload geom_uzip
# mdconfig -a -t vnode -f /mnt/src/uzip/usr.local.uzip -o readonly
# mount -o ro /dev/md1.uzip /mnt/src/usr/local
# (cd /mnt/src && tar cf - --exclude '^mnt/*' .) | (cd /mnt/dest && tar vxf -)
# umount /mnt/dest
# umount /mnt/src/usr/local
# umount /mnt/src
# mdconfig -d -u 0
# mdconfig -d -u 1
Finally add /dev/adaXsY to the boot manager's list of bootable devices.

I haven't tried it, but it should work.

mrclksr

Happy new year, everybody!

Here are the corrected steps, which I just tested. Replace da0/da0s1 accordingly.

Code:
# bsdlabel -w -B da0s1
# bsdlabel -e da0s1
Edit the disklabel as follows. Adjust the swap size to fit your needs:

Code:
# /dev/da0s1:
8 partitions:
#          size     offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
  a:  *             16    unused        0     0
  b:  512M          *     swap          0     0     # "raw" part, don't edit
Code:
# newfs -U /dev/da0s1a
# mkdir /mnt/src
# mkdir /mnt/dest
# mount /dev/da0s1a /mnt/dest
# mdconfig -f nomadbsd-1.img
# mount /dev/md0s1a /mnt/src
# kldload geom_uzip
# mdconfig -a -t vnode -f /mnt/src/uzip/usr.local.uzip -o readonly
# mount -o ro /dev/md1.uzip /mnt/src/usr/local
# (cd /mnt/src && tar cf - --exclude '^mnt/*' --exclude '^uzip*' .) | (cd /mnt/dest && tar vxf -)
# rm /mnt/dest/etc/rc.d/mount_uzip
# umount /mnt/dest
# umount /mnt/src/usr/local
# umount /mnt/src/ || umount -f /mnt/src
# mdconfig -d -u 0
# mdconfig -d -u 1
# tunefs -L NomadBSD /dev/da0s1a
# glabel label NomadBSDsw /dev/da0s1b
In case you're using the harddisk for NomadBSD alone (no multi-boot/boot manager), install the bootcode:

Code:
# gpart bootcode -b /boot/mbr da0

mrclksr

NomadBSD 0.5.3 has been released

Changes since the initial version:
  • The partition scheme has been changed from MBR to GPT+EFI.
  • The graphical boot loader by Oliver Fromme has been installed.
  • The filesystem settings have been changed for better performance.
  • Growing the filesystem to fill the flash drive can now automatically be done from the setup menu.
  • The boot time has been reduced.
  • A problem with the setup on systems where a NVIDIA graphics card is installed has been fixed.
  • The browser configurations have been changed/included to improve performance.

giahung1997

Please consider developing something as a live system like of mxlinux.org, with XFCE a full DE not some very difficult to configure (no beginner friendly) at all. I see the potential of your system.

mrclksr

Thank you for your feedback, giahung1997 .
Please consider developing something as a live system like of mxlinux.org, with XFCE a full DE not some very difficult to configure (no beginner friendly) at all.
NomadBSD does not aim to be a beginner system, albeit everything is configured to work out of the box. But if you prefer to use a DE over a window manager you can easily modify NomadBSD for your needs, and build your own image. Add x11-wm/xfce4 to pkg.list, and change nomad/.xinitrc accordingly.

Best regards,
Marcel

giahung1997

Thank you for your feedback, giahung1997 .

NomadBSD does not aim to be a beginner system, albeit everything is configured to work out of the box. But if you prefer to use a DE over a window manager you can easily modify NomadBSD for your needs, and build your own image. Add x11-wm/xfce4 to pkg.list, and change nomad/.xinitrc accordingly.

Best regards,
Marcel
I know. Thanks. When you could, expand to cover beginners too.