No way to upgrade to STABLE with freebsd-update?

Hello,

I just tried to upgrade my 9.1-RELEASE to 9.1-STABLE using freebsd-update and it tells me it can't get the right metadata. By browing HTTP on one of the upgrade servers, I saw RELEASE versions, also as RCs and BETAs, but no STABLE. Isn't there a way to install STABLE without having to build the source code manually? Can someone explain me the reason for that, as I'm curious about that.

Thanks in advance.

-STABLE is a development branch. There may be some snapshots every once in a while, but generally speaking one builds it from source. If you don't want to compile from source, I suggest you stick with -RELEASE.

If you would like to follow -STABLE without compiling from source, I would suggest PC-BSD. It is FreeBSD at heart with lots of nice tools built on top. They are following -STABLE and are providing their own binary updates through freebsd-update.

Seems a similar problem!

sicil said:
Hello,

I just tried to upgrade my 9.1-RELEASE to 9.1-STABLE using freebsd-update and it tells me it can't get the right metadata. By browing HTTP on one of the upgrade servers, I saw RELEASE versions, also as RCs and BETAs, but no STABLE. Isn't there a way to install STABLE without having to build the source code manually? Can someone explain me the reason for that, as I'm curious about that.

Thanks in advance.

It seems as if yours seems to be a similar problem as I am encountering as discussed here: http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=41495 though I am trying on FreeBSD 8.3.

Back