[*]pkg_add -r gnome2-hacker-tools
[*]echo gnome_enable="YES" >> /etc/rc.conf
[*]/usr/local/etc/rc.d/dbus start
[*]/usr/local/etc/rc.d/avahi-daemon start
[*]/usr/local/etc/rc.d/avahi-dnsconfd start
[*]/usr/local/etc/rc.d/hald start
[*]/usr/local/etc/rc.d/gdm start
[/LIST]

I see a desktop with a taskbar at the bottom. The taskbar has an accessibility button, a clock, and a shutdown menu. There's a large icon of a computer in the middle with text underneath it that alternates between the name.domain and FreeBSD. I haven't figured out how to open a terminal window :p

What should I do differently? Thanks in advance! (I know, I'm a noob)

Thanks -- procfs gets me closer... now there's a login button. But when I click it, the screen eventually refreshes with the login button present again. I do not see any fields for a username and password...

(This is all running inside vmware.)

How did you get to a terminal to edit the /etc/fstab file? I'm having the same problem as you, except I can't get to a terminal to edit the file. When I reboot I just boot straight into the login screen, where I get stuck.

copacetic said:
how did you get to a terminal to edit the /etc/fstab file? I'm having the same problem as you, except i can't get to a terminal to edit the file. When i reboot i just boot straight into the login screen, where i get stuck.

ctrl+alt+f1

davetrotteruk said:
ctrl+alt+f1

I have a Linux MInt 10 host trying to run FreeBSD 8.1 VirtualBox

I having the same problem as the OP. (ctrl)(alt)(f1) freezes the host. Is there another way to get to the terminal?

Back