Solved no vt resolution settings available?

Hello,
I have been using FreeBSD many years ago and was mostly on Linux. There have been many developments that I don't really like, so I decided to go back to FreeBSD and try my luck once again.

Here is my problem: I just installed FreeBSD a few weeks ago and am trying to tweak some stuff. But: The manuals seem heavily out of date.
I want to change the resolution for vt. According to the Handbook there should be something like kern.vt.fb.default_mode and kern.vt.fb.modes.LVDS-1, but sysctl tells me: "sysctl: unknown oid 'kern.vt.fb.default_mode'".

I tried:
sysctl -a | grep kern.vt.fb
but this returns nothing ("kern.vt" only does return results).

It would be great if someone could help be on this issue.
Best regards,
Hakaishi

Those are not sysctl variables, but loader tunables. You can set them in /boot/loader.conf. However, it depends on your hardware whether those framebuffer settings really work. Please see the vt(4) manual page for details, in particular: “This is currently only supported by the vt_fb backend when it is paired with a KMS video driver.”

It doesn't work for me either (Nvidia graphics with CSM BIOS). But I think that's not a big deal, because the text console is visible only for a few seconds during boot until the X server takes over.

Yes, it depends on hardware. In my case of Intel graphic card I added kld_list=i915kms to /etc/rc.conf to get the full resolution of 1600x900 in vt(4).
that's not a big deal, because the text console is visible only for a few seconds during boot until the X server takes over
Well, those who ask for console resolution, most likely, do not start X (automatically).
Indeed, with default resolution the console on modern displays looks really ugly.

I installed FreeBSD just a few weeks ago on my laptop for the first time every. I still did not install X so I was also trying to tweak the resolution, colors, and fonts. For me to get the resolution working, I had to make compile install the new i915kms as the default one is for older systems. I'll search for the article explaining the details and post the link here.

Edit: You can find the details here.

Thank you for all the responses and sorry for the delay.
So these were loader settings, I see.
I have a Panasonic CF-F10 (i5 from 2010), so the i915kms driver seems to make things worse. I do use X, so I don't really mind the resolution things and not having a boot splash, I just wanted to play around a bit and noticed that something might be strange.

I won't risk to break my system right now, so I will just leave it at that (okay, no problem using a live CD, but annoying).
Still want to go and try to set up a boot env sometime later.

Any way,
Thanks for your support!

Back