No Sound In FreeBSD :(

RedPhoenix

So the title is pretty self-explanatory. First, let me say this: FreeBSD DEFINITELY sees my Sound Card, but I'm unsure as to how to make it work. Here's the output of dmesg | grep pcm:

Code:
pcm0: <Realtek ALC282 (Analog)> at nid 20 and 25 on hdaa0
pcm1: <Realtek ALC282 (Analog)> at nid 33 and 18 on hdaa0
pcm2: <Intel (0x280d) (HDMI/DP 8ch)> at nid 3 on hdaa1
pcm0: chn_write(): pcm0:virtual:dsp0.vp0: play interrupt timeout, channel dead
Why is this? Well, I have high hopes to get this to work. :) It's working in OpenBSD, so... :D

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

Post the output of cat /dev/sndstat. And where are your speakers connected? To an audio output? Or using the speakers of the monitor (HDMI)?

OP
OP
RedPhoenix

RedPhoenix

Post the output of cat /dev/sndstat. And where are your speakers connected? To an audio output? Or using the speakers of the monitor (HDMI)?
Code:
Installed devices:
pcm0: <Realtek ALC282 (Analog)> (play/rec) default
pcm1: <Realtek ALC282 (Analog)> (play/rec)
pcm2: <Intel (0x280d) (HDMI/DP 8ch)> (play)
No devices installed from userspace.
It's all internal. :)

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

Well, it's detected and as long as you have your speakers connected to the correct output I see no reason why it doesn't work. What are you using to test it?

OP
OP
RedPhoenix

RedPhoenix

Well, it's detected and as long as you have your speakers connected to the correct output I see no reason why it doesn't work. What are you using to test it?
I'm using sox, play, and cat, as well as VLC. :) I have Pulseaudio installed too. :)

shepper

Aspiring Daemon

Section 7.2 has a long standing error for currently supported FreeBSD versions 12.0 and 11.2. After version 9.x, the default kernel has the most common sound drivers statically complied into the kernel. Specifically, there is no need to kldload snd_hda.
pcm0: <Realtek ALC282 (Analog)> at nid 20 and 25 on hdaa0 pcm1: <Realtek ALC282 (Analog)> at nid 33 and 18 on hdaa0
By default, FreeBSD only uses one pcm device. The handbook section SirDice provided tells you how to change the default from pcm0 to pcm1.
Have you done that?
If you have and it still does not work, you will need to post a pindump of your audio devices. snd_hda(4) provides the highly technical details. There are also multiple posts, you can find using the forums' search function, about how to generate a pindump.

OP
OP
RedPhoenix

RedPhoenix

Section 7.2 has a long standing error for currently supported FreeBSD versions 12.0 and 11.2. After version 9.x, the default kernel has the most common sound drivers statically complied into the kernel. Specifically, there is no need to kldload snd_hda.

By default, FreeBSD only uses one pcm device. The handbook section SirDice provided tells you how to change the default from pcm0 to pcm1.
Have you done that?
If you have and it still does not work, you will need to post a pindump of your audio devices. snd_hda(4) provides the highly technical details. There are also multiple posts, you can find using the forums' search function, about how to generate a pindump.
Roper fixed it for me. :) Thank you for your response! :D