No Screens Found_FreeBSD 12.2

Hello,

Thanks in advance for helping me resolve this issue. As the title suggest, I'm currently having issues with Xorg not finding my screen/monitor. I just finished installing the base system on an old Toshiba Satellite laptop using an ISO image downloaded from www.freebsd.org. After completing the installation, I proceeded to:

a) Install Xorg
b) Create individual configuration files for the video, monitor and resolution
c)Added my user to the video, wheel group.
d) Installed KDE and SDDM

Immediately after installing Xorg and before downloading KDE, I ran "startx" and got Xterm, which I thought meant I was on the right path. After installing KDE and SDDM, startx would no longer work and I kept getting the "No Screen Found". Here are the specs of the laptop I'm working with:

Toshiba Satellite C655D-S5136
AMD Athlon II P340 - 2.2 Ghz
6GB of Ram
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4225 (RS880M)

/usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/screen-resolution.conf
Code:
Section "Screen"
             Identifier  "Screen 0"
             Device      "Card0"
             Subsection "Display"
             Modes       "640x480"
EndSection
/usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/driver-radeon.conf
Code:
Section "Device"
    Identifier "Card0"
    Driver     "amdgpu"
EndSection
/etc/rc.conf
Code:
sddm_enable="YES"
dbus_enable="YES"
hald_enable="YES
kld_list="/boot/modules/amdgpu.ko"
I've also installed "drm-fbsd12.0-kmod via pkg install and tried to build it from ports but failed with the following error:
Code:
"drm-fbsd12.0-kmod-4.16.g20200221 requires kernel source files in SRC_BASE-/usr/src"
Any suggestions on how to get around this issue are welcomed.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
drm-fbsd12.0-kmod-4.16.g20200221 requires kernel source files in SRC_BASE-/usr/src"
You need fetch the FreeBSD source code into /usr/src.

I also noticed that you are using a radeon card. You need add the radeonkms.ko driver; see https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics#AMD_Graphics

Lastly, you may find Wayland work as an alternative to Xorg. An you can try a different login manager and desktop environment with it e.g sway, the 3d environment (wayfire),etc.

Lamia,

Thanks for the suggestions. I went back and reinstalled 12.2, but this time I made sure I selected to check "install src sources" option which addressed the "SRC Missing" error. Installation went smooth. I then proceeded to install Xorg again, and XCFE. Additionally, I was able to compiled the "drm-fbsd12.0-kmod-4.16.g20200221" port without any issues. After rebooting, I saw a flash on the console as it switched over to the new display driver, so I must be heading in the right direction. However, when I run "startx", X server is still complaining about the following:

- "Warning , couldnt open module radeon"
- "Failed to load module "radeon" (module does not exist, 0)
- "No drivers available"
-"No Screens found "

Below are my /etc/rc.conf and individual xorg.conf.d configuration files.

/etc/rc.conf

Code:
dbus_enable="YES"
hald_enable="YES"
kld_list="/boot/modules/radeonkms.ko"
Code:
Section "Device"
    Identifier "Card0"
    Driver     "radeon"
EndSection
/usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/screen-resolution.conf

Code:
Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen0"
    Device     "Card0"
    SubSection "Display"
    Modes      "1024x768"
    EndSubSection
EndSection
Do I also need to add a "monitor" configuration file in addition to a resolution file? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

/usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/driver-radeon.conf: try to disable it (remove the file or the ".conf" at the end of the file name). It's sometimes good to let Xorg choose its drivers.

I did not have much luck with the above suggestions. None worked for me, unlike other people, until I switched to a PCI card. Infact, I had to go buy it - a NVIDIA card. Hopefully, the onboard graphics cards (INTEL XEON) will work again sometime in the future. The alternative desktop environment - Sway - worked though with the onboard card.

You should continue using the amdgpu.ko if your board/card is AMD. Simply add it to the kld_list, which already contains the radeonkms.ko.

You really don't have to touch the Xorg files as advised by others. You can delete all modifications and let Xorg decide for itself.

You might also need try out an additional/replacement card if that would work. Several people had this problem and won't go away until sometime in Feb.

It's an old laptop, so for my purposes it does not make sense to go out and get a PCI card/find a newer laptop, but I appreciate the recommendation. Is this issue only related to the 12.2 release or the entire 12.xx series and do we know if it will be addressed when they release 13.0? As of right now, I feel like i"m getting closer to solving the problem, but not sure how to go forward. X server still complains that the module radeon couldnt be opened or it doesnt exist and/or no drivers are available. Do I need to install another driver in addition to "drm-fbsd12.0-kmod-4.16.g20200221"? From my understanding, this driver, when compiled from source has everything you need to get X working. The "no screen found".... is this simply due to not having a "monitor" file in the xorg.conf.d directoy? The handbook goes over how to create a single file for "resolution", however, it does not mention creating a configuration file for a monitor.

X server still complains that the module radeon couldnt be opened or it doesnt exist and/or no drivers are available. Do I need to install another driver in addition to "drm-fbsd12.0-kmod-4.16.g20200221"? From my understanding, this driver, when compiled from source has everything you need to get X working.
I am surely no expert when it comes to radeon graphics hardware, but I'd say you are right, that the KMS driver you load via kld_list should be all that is needed. But you are telling Xorg to load an additional radeon driver that doesn't even seem to exist:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Card0"
Driver "radeon"
EndSection
I concur with the advice to remove that configuration file and let Xorg try to autodetect the necessary driver. Or try changing the Driver line in that file to:
Code:
Driver "modesetting"

revising the "driver-radeon" config file and replacing "radeon" with "modesetting" seems to have done something....the "missing radeon module" went away, however, I'm not getting the following errors:
Code:
(EE) open /dev/dri/card0: No such file or directory
(WW) Falling back to old probe method for modesetting
(EE) open /dev/dri/card0: No such file or directory
(WW) VGA arbiter: cannot open kernel arbiter, no multi-card support
(EE) Screen 0 deleted because of no matching config section
(II) UnloadModule" "modesetting"
(EE) Device(s) detected, but none match those in the config file
Fatal Server Error:
(EE) no screens found
In reading these errors, the VGA arbiter makes sense as this is an old laptop and the onboard gpu does not support multi-card(s). While I do have a "screen-resolution" config file, it does not specify which monitor to use, so maybe that is the issue here?

In reading these errors, the VGA arbiter makes sense as this is an old laptop and the onboard gpu does not support multi-card(s). While I do have a "screen-resolution" config file, it does not specify which monitor to use, so maybe that is the issue here?
First - did you get your drm working? Before starting X, you should get the drm operational. Look into kldstat.
Also grep "\[drm\]" /var/log/messages.

You can try loading drm manually, but it is good to include kld_list="radeonkms" into the /etc/rc.conf.
Is it EFI boot or not? Radeons and EFI mismatch. So, in case of EFI, you should have hw.syscons.disable=1 in /boot/loader.conf. Not nice, but it works.

With older Radeons, you can try graphics/drm-legacy-kmod/.

I have put WITHOUT_MODULES=drm drm2 in the /etc/make.conf and rebuilt the kernel before installing the drm.

As some of you have already said, what if they let xorg do everything automatically by skipping b) Create individual configuration files for the video, monitor and resolution? I for example only need to install drm-kmod for my AMD card and that's it, the rest is done by xorg. If you want to activate a function then a config file is handy but otherwise not necessary.

If you want to activate a function then a config file is handy but otherwise not necessary.
Also, when the hardware configuration is stable, it may have some benefit to copy the configuration into /etc/X11/xorg.conf. Not needed, but makes the Xorg start faster. BTW, Xorg is always restarted when you leave GUI and drop back to login manager.

You can try loading drm manually, but it is good to include kld_list="radeonkms" into the /etc/rc.conf.
In order to use the driver built from ports (or installed from pkg for that matter) you need to specify the full path, otherwise you probably end up using the driver included in the base system, i.e. kld_list="/boot/modules/radeonkms.ko"

In order to use the driver built from ports (or installed from pkg for that matter) you need to specify the full path, otherwise you probably end up using the driver included in the base system, i.e. kld_list="/boot/modules/radeonkms.ko"
Base system gives a warning in the logfiles that drm is deprecated and will be removed in the future. I have disabled the base drm by putting WITHOUT_MODULES=drm drm2 in the /etc/make.conf and built a custom kernel. After that installed the graphics/drm-fbsd12.0-kmod.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I tried them all and now I have a working KDE/Gnome environments. Not sure which one did the trick, but below are the steps I took:

- added kld_list="radeonkms to /etc/rc.conf
-added hw.syscons.disable=1 to /boot/loader.conf

Laptop seems to work be working now. Thanks again.

Just came across this thread. I have the same error with AMD Ryzen 5 3400G & onboard Vega 11 GPU. Installed drm-kmod from "pkg", added kld_list="/boot/loader/amdgpu.ko". Doesn't work. Xorg still fails to start with no screens found. I have EFI boot & I've tried the "hw.syscons.disable=1" in /boot/loader.conf as well. That doesn't help either. I'm really not good at setting up UIs & until now, didn't have the need to worry much as I had nVidia cards & nVidia drivers that always worked. This is a new PC & I cannot get Xorg to start. What am I doing wrong?

Your video driver is not being loaded. Assuming an ATI card based on the logs. What card and how are you loading the driver?
AMD Ryzen 5 3400G processor with onboard VEGA 11 GPU. Installed "amdgpu" from ports. When the OS boots, I get a mouse pointer on my console, but cannot get Xorg to work. And yes, after trying all the recommended things for 'amdgpu', the driver just doesn't load. I have a UEFI system & if you read my post above, disabling the console output on start, which is the recommended UEFI fix with 'amdgpu', the driver still doesn't load.

I have found, on a new T495, that only vesa will work for the AMD GPU. I haven't found a solution, don't remember now what I tried. However, FreeBSD-CURRENT does work with drm-kmod for AMD.
Just my experience, for what it's woth.

Just came across this thread. I have the same error with AMD Ryzen 5 3400G & onboard Vega 11 GPU. Installed drm-kmod from "pkg", added kld_list="/boot/loader/amdgpu.ko". Doesn't work. Xorg still fails to start with no screens found. I have EFI boot & I've tried the "hw.syscons.disable=1" in /boot/loader.conf as well. That doesn't help either. I'm really not good at setting up UIs & until now, didn't have the need to worry much as I had nVidia cards & nVidia drivers that always worked. This is a new PC & I cannot get Xorg to start. What am I doing wrong?

The path /boot/loader/ doesnt exists, please use kld_list="/boot/modules/amdgpu.ko" or only "amdgpu".

Back