Solved No more support of amdgpu module in 13.3. Is my laptop too old?

After upgrading to 13.3 the "amdgpu" module is no longer supported, I guess.
Somehow device='Whistler [Radeon HD 6730M/6770M/7690M XT]' in my laptop is driven now by "i915kms" module which provides 3D accelareated video. I wonder if I ever be able to upgrade to FreeBSD-14.* with this old Dell Precision M4600 laptop?

Somehow device='Whistler [Radeon HD 6730M/6770M/7690M XT]' in my laptop is driven now by "i915kms" module which provides 3D accelareated video.
That seems unlikely because i915kms is for Intel graphics, not AMD. The module might be loaded but that doesn't mean it's actually active. You can load a whole bunch of kernel modules and drivers, even if you don't actually have the hardware. The GENERIC kernel for example contains a bunch of drivers for various hardware, most of them you probably don't even have the actual hardware for.

Note that 14.0 has graphics/drm-515-kmod and 14.1 will have graphics/drm-61-kmod available. 13.x is stuck on graphics/drm-510-kmod.

Thanx for reply!
I'm aware that generic kernel includes tons of modules, just in case :) And, I was under the impression that if I declare in /etc/rc.conf "kld_list=amdgpu" then the AI :) system configurator will probe, detect and find appropriate driver for my video device, within the range of "amdgpu" chipsets. After 13.2 to 13.3 upgrade, the "amdgpu" throws kernel into panic mode during boot. Though "i915kms" in 13.3, lets me boot into the system. But, after I did the "pkg upgrade" in 13.3, my Xfce4 is not operational :-( I use 2 storage devices, so my data and back-up configuration files are safe and I can start over with new install. I'll try 14.* to see if things improve.

Update:
Well, I decided to upgrade from 13.3 to 14.1 which was uneventful other then the same issue as in upgrade from 13.2 to 13.3 - /etc/passwd and /etc/master.passwd had to be cleaned-up. And now, kld_list="amdgpu" in /etc/rc.conf doesn't cause any issues.
Code:
$ uname -a
FreeBSD fbsd 14.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 14.1-RELEASE releng/14.1-n267679-10e31f0946d8 GENERIC amd64
Since I had major issues with Xfce in 13.3, I did "pkg delete xfce" and "pkg remove" in 14.1 and then I reinstalled xfce again. But that didn't help. I still have issues with xfce in 14.1. I'm not able do get "Desktop" view “startxfce4” - just black screen and mouse cursor. In my case, the only way to have Xfce and (half broken) Desktop with top bar and drop-down menu is to “startx” first and then “startxfce4” from xterm . But no xfce default theme so no window decoration to control size, resize, minimizing, etc .

Final Solution:
Fresh install of 14.1 resolved "amdgpu" issues from 13.3
While dealing with "xrdp", I noticed reference to "lumina-desktop". Don't know much about Lumina. It's not supported any longer, but it works for me.
Solved issues with audio - single directive in /boot/loader.conf was missing. It was never mentioned in the Handbook or in forum threads, related to sound/audio.

Back