No luck with an RX 580

I can not get a usable graphical desktop going with Ghost/Freebsd

Hardware: Ryzen cpu, RX580 video card, plenty of ram, UEFI. I have tried the latest official release of Ghostbsd (20.01) and Freebsd (12.1).

Linux and Windows have no problems with this setup

I have been able to kind of get a graphical desktop 2 ways:

1) Using SCFB. Works fine, but can only display 1024x768. Maybe when I get old, this will be fine, but on a 27 inch screen it is unusable. Is there anyway to change this? Xrandr only gives 1024x768.

2) Using VESA, I can get a full 2550x1440 screen, but the screen refreshes at about every 2 seconds – videos are completely unwatchable

From the command line I have typed: X -configure. And I get: AMDGPU [KMS] drm report modesetting isn’t supported. The Xorg log file shows: No screens found

I have added hw.syscons.disable=1 to my loader.conf. It completely locks up my computer.

I have been using Linux as my desktop for about 30 years, so the unix-like environment is not an issue. I even have Ghostbsd running nicely in a virtualbox in linux – complete with KDE.

I would like to switch to Ghost/Freebsd, but without a usable desktop I can not. I even upgraded my video card as several folks online have been able to make it work – but not me.

Thoughts?
JC

From the command line I have typed: X -configure. And I get: AMDGPU [KMS] drm report modesetting isn’t supported. The Xorg log file shows: No screens found

Remove whatever configuration you have, start X (without -configure) and attach the log file here.

A completely clean install - Xorg.log attached. So, looking at it, the 12.0 drivers are being used, and not the 12.1.

Attachments

• Xorg.0.log.txt
    7.7 KB · Views: 165
Compiled and installed drm-kmod. Same issues. I checked in the /boot/modules/graphics directory and they all showed today's date, but the log file shows the old files. Not sure why.

Attachments

• Xorg.0.log.txt
    5 KB · Views: 165
Were you able to get this resolved? I'm in the exact same boat as you and I was gonna start a thread but you beat me to it, which is good, because I thought it was just me with this issue. If anyone has a clue on what to do it will be greatly appreciated.

This is what I typically do to install the drivers:

1. Install the drm-kmod package and the AMD driver

# pkg install drm-kmod xf86-video-amdgpu

2. Add "kld_list=/boot/modules/amdgpu.ko" to /etc/rc.conf

Here are my specs, just FYI:

Asus Crosshair VIII Hero(WiFi) X570
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6C-12T@3.6GHz
16Gb RAM @3200MHz
XFX RX 580 8Gb DDR5

Thnx

I have a system running with RX 550. Assume with RX 580 the set-up is similar.

To get it running:

1) in /etc/make.conf

WITHOUT_MODULES=drm drm2

then recompiled the kernel.

2) from ports installed:

drm-fbsd12.0-kmod-4.16.g20200221

3) /etc/rc.conf

kld_list="amdgpu"

4) ... also with UEFI boot - in /boot/loader.conf

hw.syscons.disable=1

Works like charm...

P.S. attached 'Xorg.0.log', 'kldstat' and 'grep drm /var/log/messages.0'

Attachments

• Xorg.0.log.txt
    27 KB · Views: 151
  • kldtstat.txt
    1.7 KB · Views: 145
  • messages.drm.txt
    5.5 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
Alright, I followed Raffeale's instructions. I checked with dmesg: grep drm to ensure the amdgpu module was loaded. I still get:
AMDGPU KMS drm report modesetting isn't supported
When I try just X, or sub scfb for vesa I get a blank screen
thoughts?

Are we still building drm-kmod for 12.0? Jesus Christ. That's, like, as if someone in FreeBSD deliberately wants to piss off all newcomers.

Alright, I followed Raffeale's instructions. I checked with dmesg: grep drm to ensure the amdgpu module was loaded. I still get:
AMDGPU KMS drm report modesetting isn't supported
When I try just X, or sub scfb for vesa I get a blank screen
thoughts?
could you post your dmesg and xorg.log , if you can find drm messages in your dmesg ,I think you forgot to install xorg video driver.

Dmes said your gpu driver has been loaded,but Xorg amdgpu driver didn’t reconize your gpu, you can try to add your device Id to pcids file. Look at my tutorial .

[ 137.914] (II) AMDGPU(1): [KMS] drm report modesetting isn't supported.

his xorg said this , so that mean xorg's admgpu video driver not reconigize , some time you can try add your device_id into ids file into amd group , i think it will work

[EDIT] This DOES NOT work! it was loading the vesa driver instead of amdgpu and it gave me a very faulty graphical environment.

I posted this on a different thread, but I'll post here too in case it helps.

I built:

- xf86-video-amdgpu-19.0.1
- drm-kmod-g20190710
- drm-fbsd12.0-kmod-4.16.g20191120

from ports as per SirDice's instructions on another post and that solved it for me, but I did have to add hw.syscons.disable=1 to boot/loader.conf for it to work. Otherwise, it never loaded and X said that there were no screens found.

you could try drm5.0 amdgpu driver , it works fine on my laptop , my cpu is amd ryzen 3500u , it could boot without hw.syscons.disable option .

Back