Solved No internet connection after install

Greetings,

I installed FreeBSD on my HP nx6110 laptop and I'm unable to get internet working on it (it was working perfectly fine during the install), when I try to ping google.com I get "ping: Unkown host", what's up with it..?

Unknown host seems to indicate a problem with your DNS settings. Is this DHCP or static? If it's static did you set /etc/resolv.conf correctly?

How about the output of netstat -rn to verify that you have a route (default route) pointing to the correct place?
Output of ifconfig -a to make sure the interface is actually up and assigned an address?

Did you get an IP address? Check with ifconfig <interface>. If you have an IP address then check if the default gateway is set correctly by looking at netstat -rn. If all those look good then check if you received the correct DNS information by looking at /etc/resolv.conf.

From the routing table, look at the gateway for the 0.0.0.0 network, that's your default gateway. Make sure you can ping(8) that IP address. If that works, ping(8) the IP addresses you found in /etc/resolv.conf.

Did you get an IP address? Check with ifconfig <interface>. If you have an IP address then check if the default gateway is set correctly by looking at netstat -rn. If all those look good then check if you received the correct DNS information by looking at /etc/resolv.conf.

From the routing table, look at the gateway for the 0.0.0.0 network, that's your default gateway. Make sure you can ping(8) that IP address. If that works, ping(8) the IP addresses you found in /etc/resolv.conf
Ran ifconfig ue0 and I don't an assigned IP address.. Is it because I use USB tethered internet..? In /etc/resolv.conf there's only a local IP address (127.0.0.1), though.

Ran ifconfig ue0 and I don't an assigned IP address.. Is it because I use USB tethered internet..?
Yes, that sounds likely. It's possible the USB connection hasn't been initialized yet when the boot process tries to set an IP on the interface.

In /etc/resolv.conf there's only a local IP address (127.0.0.1), though.
You probably enabled unbound(8), that's fine.

SYNCDHCP waits for the interface to receive an IP address before continuing booting. With DHCP the system isn't going to wait for the address to be received.

A better way to "restart" the DHCP is to use service dhclient restart ue0. Assuming you have ifconfig_ue0 in your /etc/rc.conf.

Same command, different interface obviously; service dhclient restart <interface>. That way you can restart it for a specific interface, instead of for all of them.

Back