No DP/HDMI sound after update: 13.0-RC3 -> 13.0-RELEASE

My Lenovo IdeaPad 720S is connected to a TV via USB-C/HDMI adapter.
It was working fine for almost a year until I realized it's running FreeBSD 13.0-RC3 and decided to update.

Code:
% cat /dev/sndstat
Installed devices:
pcm0: <Realtek ALC298 (Analog 2.0+HP/2.0)> (play/rec)
pcm1: <Intel Kaby Lake (HDMI/DP 8ch)> (play) default

Thanks for advises!

Hello aragats,

Is the device default at system startup or is it manually switched to?
Is pulseaudio running on this system randomly?
Do the drm modules matching your current system kernel since you did an upgrade?

Hello aragats,

Is the device default at system startup or is it manually switched to?, is pulseaudio running on this system? and do the drm modules matching your current system kernel since you did an upgrade?
No pulsaudio is installed.
I set sysctl hw.snd.default_unit=1. Also told mpv to use dsp1 explicitly. No complaints, just no sound.
Drm modules are good (drm-fbsd13-kmod-5.4.144.g20211013), and HDMI video is working fine.

No pulsaudio is installed.
I set sysctl hw.snd.default_unit=1. Also told mpv to use dsp1 explicitly. No complaints, just no sound.
Drm modules are good (drm-fbsd13-kmod-5.4.144.g20211013), and HDMI video is working fine.

What happends if you try --audio-device=oss//dev/dsp ?

Example: mpv --audio-device=oss//dev/dsp "/usr/home/Alexander88207/example.flac"

Do you also have no audio in other applications?

Hmm.. And the mixer volumes are also at a hear able rate?

mixer
Code:
Mixer vol      is currently set to  75:75
Mixer bass     is currently set to 100:100
Mixer treble   is currently set to 100:100
Mixer pcm      is currently set to  75:75
Mixer mic      is currently set to  50:50

Sometimes, it helps to have the screen on first, and then boot the rest of the machine.
Also - I have an IdeaPad 720S myself (albeit with a Windows install), it does not have a DP port. So, I think it's safe to assume that the DP port is available only via the USB-C adapter.

If following the Handbook's Sound setup section doesn't help, I would suggest first getting the sound going at all on the laptop. And yes, that just might mean biting the bullet and installing ALSA or pulseaudio or JACK.

it's safe to assume that the DP port is available only via the USB-C adapter.
That's true: I use a USB-C/HDMI adapter.

I would suggest first getting the sound going at all on the laptop. And yes, that just might mean biting the bullet and installing ALSA or pulseaudio or JACK
Sound was working fine in 13.0-RC3 without that crap. The RC3 is almost release, I don't believe something has significantly changed since then...

Have a look at the following thread, maybe the applied solution works for you too:

Have a look at the following thread, maybe the applied solution works for you too:
Thanks! I already have that set to 0:
Code:
% sysctl compat.linuxkpi.i915_disable_power_well
compat.linuxkpi.i915_disable_power_well: 0
However, I think, that's the correct direction. Maybe I should run the RC3 and compare all those *i915* settings.

% freebsd-version -kru 13.0-RELEASE-p4 13.0-RELEASE-p4 13.0-RELEASE-p4 % uname -aKU FreeBSD ideapad 13.0-RELEASE-p4 FreeBSD 13.0-RELEASE-p4 #0: Tue Aug 24 07:33:27 UTC 2021 root@amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/sys/GENERIC amd64 1300139 1300139

Back