No audio in my KDE

Greetings.
I fail to get audio running on freebsd/KDE. I use a built in sound codec on my AMD II motherboard that goes to headphones from the back panel of the PC. Any help on this is much appreciated.

/Oskman

Did you configure any sound drivers at all yet? What does cat /dev/sndstat show you for example? Or running mixer?

I added this to /boot/loader.conf:
snd_driver_load="YES"

cat /dev/sndstat:
Installed devices:
pcm0: <VIA VT2020 (Analog 2.0+HP/2.0)> (play/rec) default
pcm1: <VIA VT2020 (Rear-panel Digital)> (play)
No devices installed from userspace.

mixer:
Mixer vol is currently set to 41:41
Mixer pcm is currently set to 62:62
Mixer speaker is currently set to 56:56
Mixer line is currently set to 58:58
Mixer mic is currently set to 100:100
Mixer mix is currently set to 35:35
Mixer rec is currently set to 35:35
Mixer igain is currently set to 0:0
Mixer ogain is currently set to 100:100
Mixer monitor is currently set to 100:100
Recording source: mic

pcm0: <VIA VT2020 (Analog 2.0+HP/2.0)> (play/rec) default
pcm1: <VIA VT2020 (Rear-panel Digital)> (play)

You have 2 audio devices (pcm0 and pcm1) and by default, FreeBSD will only use 1, typically pcm0.

Section 7.2 of the Handbook tells you haw to change the default and how to do basic testing of the driver. Once you are confident the appropriate driver is working, then you can move on to trouble shooting KDE's Phonon sound server.

You also do not need the /boot/loader.conf entry. Since FreeBSD 10, snd_hda is statically compiled into the kernel.

Well..Ive tried all available playback ideas from VLC in KDE...and none of them played any sound.

Do you have basic sound following the handbook?

[The output will vary depending upon the sound card. If no pcm devices are listed, double-check that the correct device driver was loaded or compiled into the kernel. The next section lists some common problems and their solutions.
If all goes well, the sound card should now work in FreeBSD. If the CD or DVD drive is properly connected to the sound card, one can insert an audio CD in the drive and play it with cdcontrol(1):
% cdcontrol -f /dev/acd0 play 1
Warning:
Audio CDs have specialized encodings
which means that they should not be mounted using
mount(8).
Various applications, such as
audio/workman, provide a friendlier
interface. The audio/mpg123 port can be
installed to listen to MP3 audio files.
Another quick way to test the card is to send data to
/dev/dsp:
% cat filename > /dev/dsp

Probably far-fetched, but I've had some issues with sound under kde when different gstreamer ports were pulled in as dependencies of packages.
Note that I do create my own packages using poudriere, so I was able to modify ports to use gstreamer1 directly and fix this in a nicer way. But to test you can just:

Check pkg info for "gstreamer" ports. If you see that you have both gstreamer and gstreamer1, remove the gstreamer (using "pkg remove -f") package and its plugins.
Restart your X and kde. If it didn't help, you can just install it again to prevent dependency issues.

edit: This was when I was still on kde4 with amarok installed. If this doesn't apply to you, you can just ignore my message.

Last edited:
Back