No Admin Priviledges

I recently made a clean install of Gnome 2.24, xorg 7.4 (both from ports) and 7-STABLE (as an update of a 7.1-R disk) on an old, existing box. I have no access to Sysadmin functions (the menus are in gray). Usually installing gnomesu has rectified the problem, but not this time. How do I get this to work? Thanks!

You need to be a member of the wheel group to be able to su.

Let me expand, since it seems I was not clear.

I am unable to access the commands in the System-> Administration menus because the items (in "Services" for example) are shown in gray. Commands from a terminal window (such as "su", "sudo" and "gnomesu") all work as they should. Setting the various options in rc.conf works, as you would expect.

It is simply that these items are not accessible from within Gnome. It would seem to be a permissions issue; in the past gnomesu would open a box requesting the root password. Once entered, the services (for example) could be selected from the menu. This appropriate behavior no longer happens.

I should add that this behavior has come and gone since I started using Gnome back in the 2.4 days. Usually installing gksu cured it, but not this time. Hence my question.

To follow up on this post, it turns out the issue was the start-up daemons I used for Gnome. Traditionally I've not cared much for gdm, so I started all the other ones and invoked gnome from the console. That does not start a ConsoleKit session which is necessary for the admin functions.

Bottom line: if you want to use all of Gnome, use gdm through gnome_enable="YES" in rc.conf. Using the usual other daemons (avahi, hal dbus, etc) does not do it anymore.

sudoers was set up to allow all wheel group members to be su. I'm a member of wheel.

DrJ said:
sudoers was set up to allow all wheel group members to be su. I'm a member of wheel.

Sudoers has nothing to do with su.

Back