Nmap OS detection issue

OK Guy's I've got a good one. Nmap OS Dection on FreeBSD is extremely slow!!

When I "nmap -O" a host on my Linux workstation I get this response
Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 12.085 seconds.

When I "nmap -O" the same host on my FreeBSD machine I get this response.
Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 322.02 seconds

I would have thought FreeBSD would have been quicker?! Is there some command switch I need to add to increase the speed of OS Detection?

Turn off your firewall, it may interfere with the scanning.

SirDice, the script I run automatically turns off the firewall. I have also fixed the time iss. Here is what I am using now.

nmap -A -T5 <ip address>

Takes just a few seconds more than Linux.

Quick question also. How can I rename my post to add [SOLVED] in the Thread Subject?

rbelk said:
Quick question also. How can I rename my post to add [SOLVED] in the Thread Subject?

Do you have a 'Thread Tools' pulldown menu at the top right of your first post of this thread? You should be able to Edit Thread and select Solved from a menu.

DutchDaemon, I do have the thread tools but that option is not in the dropdown. I have edit rights to my posts but I can not edit the Thread title.

Ok, I have no idea what the cut-off point is where you can use that option. Maybe you have to be a 'Member' instead of a 'Junior Member'. I have no insight in how that part of the boards works. I have added the [Solved] tag.

SeanC said:
Frankly, nothing needed to be solved because there was never a problem.

Sorry, I'm just being cranky.

Problem: "I try to do OS detection with the same switches I used on linux. It takes forever."
Solution: "Using these extra switches gives the expected results."

It's all in how you look at it. :e

Djn: You are right, of course. I probably should not visit the Forums when I am half-caffeinated and after a holiday weekend with the family.

Back