NIC enabled as half duplex

I have an older Dell machine with a motherboard integrated NIC. When Freebsd8 boots up, the NIC is enabled as half duplex. The machine was previously running Slackware Linux, where the NIC was full duplex. Can I set some configuration in rc.conf to force full duplex?

Thank you.

Alan

The address is assigned by a Slackware server running dhcp.It gets the address fine. I can get on the internet without any problems.

Alan

Double-check the switch settings, to make sure the switch is not in half-duplex mode.

You can use ifconfig() to set the duplex (see the mediaopts section). However, if you set it on the NIC, be sure to set it on the switch, or you'll get duplex-mismatch errors.

Thank you for your suggestion. Obviously, if when the same machine connects to a switch using Linux and it connects as full duplex, the switch is not the problem. I had read up that I could force the connection to be be full duplex with the ifconfig command, but I was hoping there would be some configuration I could set in rc.conf. I guess I'll stick with ifconfig.

Alan

Well, you can use mediaopt full-duplex in /etc/rc.conf. I'm not sure you can use it with DHCP though.
Code:
ifconfig_dev0="DHCP media 100baseTX mediaopt full-duplex"

You can always use static IP addresses instead if it doesn't work, no?

You can also use two entries:
Code:
ifconfig_dev0="media 100baseTX mediaopt full-duplex"
ifconfig_dev0_alias0="DHCP"

It's worth noting that autonegotiate doesn't work the way most people expect. The important part is negotiate; it requires that both sides actively try to agree on the settings. Further, according to the standard, if autoneg fails the interface shall fallback to half-duplex (!)

That leads to some interresting (and to many, counterintuitive) effects. If for instance your switchport is set to full-duplex and the host use the default of auto, you're guaranteed a duplex mismatch.

Back