NFS issue. No /etc/exports file

According to man exports file /etc/exports is the default file for specifying shared directories.
But in FreeBSD 6.4 and 7.1 releases I faced with the problem of absence of this file in /etc directory.

What is the cause of this issue?

• Thanks
Reactions: sdf
It may be the default file (in other words: NFS looks for it in the default location), but that doesn't mean it actually exists by default. Other places to look for it, or for how to create one, are usually /usr/share/examples/etc (it's not there) or exports(5), which is full of examples that enable you to create the file yourself.

It is very strange that in handbook writen about /etc/exports file BUT indeed this file doesn't exist and one should create it oneself.

Anyway thank you for hint.

It seems that the absence of exports file in /etc directory happened because I didn't choose the FreeBSD machine act as NFS server during the installation of system. I reinstalled the system and during the installation I selected nfs server option and now the exports file exists in /etc directory.

• Thanks
Reactions: sdf
Trojan said:
It seems that the absence of exports file in /etc directory happened because I didn't choose the FreeBSD machine act as NFS server during the installation of system. I reinstalled the system and during the installation I selected nfs server option and now the exports file exists in /etc directory.

Which is perfectly normal. If you are not going to export a file system, there is no need for the exports file. If you make any changes afterwards, then you have create the file. The sysinstall question is just there to help you get started with the most common tasks.

Back