newbie question regarding syslog.conf

Hi all,

I've got a newbie question regarding syslog.conf and I would appreciate your help with that.

I have a pretty much standard syslog config, apart from 'enabled' all.log and dedicated PostgreSQL logging at the end.

Code:
$ cat /etc/syslog.conf | grep -v "^#"
*.notice;authpriv.none;kern.debug;lpr.info;mail.crit;news.err   /var/log/messages
security.*                                      /var/log/security
auth.info;authpriv.info                         /var/log/auth.log
mail.info                                       /var/log/maillog
lpr.info                                        /var/log/lpd-errs
ftp.info                                        /var/log/xferlog
cron.*                                          /var/log/cron
*.=debug                                        /var/log/debug.log
*.emerg                                         *
*.*                                             /var/log/all.log

!postgres
*.*     /var/log/postgresql.log

My question is: from what I understood, the last part sends all PostgreSQL messages to /var/log/postgresql.log - and that works fine. But how can I exclude PostgreSQL messages (and, probably, other messages) from /var/log/all.log?

I tried
Code:
'*.*;postgres.none'
and other options, but with no luck.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thank you.

&quot said:
A program specification is a line beginning with `#!prog' or `!prog' (the former is for compatibility with the previous syslogd, if one is sharing syslog.conf files, for example) and the following blocks will be associated with calls to syslog(3) from that specific program. A program specification for `foo' will also match any message logged by the kernel with the prefix `foo: '. The `#!+prog' or `!+prog' specification works just like the previous one, and the `#!-prog' or `!-prog' specification will match any message but the ones from that program. Multiple programs maybe listed, separated by commas: `!prog1,prog2' matches messages from either program, while `!-prog1,prog2' matches all messages but those from `prog1' or `prog2'.

Perhaps something like below works:

Code:
!-postgres
*.*     all.log

mix_room said:
Perhaps something like below works:

Code:
!-postgres
*.*     all.log

Wonderful - it works, thank you a lot!

One final piece - if I want exclude multiple applications, shall I put it like that:

Code:
!-postgres;!-cron;!-smthelse
*.*     all.log

?

Greetings,
It's a first-match filter. So your last line:
Code:
*.*	all.log
means everything else. :)

Best wishes.

--Chris_H

Hi Chris,

Chris_H said:
Greetings,
It's a first-match filter. So your last line:
Code:
*.*	all.log
means everything else. :)

Yes, I've got that, thank you! =)
I'm wondering if that is a right syntax to exclude multiple applications from this 'everything else'?

Kind regards,
Alexander.

Back