newbie here

Unfortunately, not a good starting point. At a glance, it omits some essentials.

I assume that you do not use NVIDIA graphics hardware.

As the root user, if you have not already done so:

pkg install drm-kmod

– and observe the message that appears after installation. You must act upon part of the message.

If installation of these kernel modules is not enough for SLiM to appear when expected: you'll be asked to share additional information (at least, details of your graphics hardware and the exact version of FreeBSD).

uname -aKU

freebsd-version -kru

I just installed freeBSD like a month ago but have never been able to get the GUI going. I'm sorry if I am not posting this in the right forum directory.
I've been following all the instructions from https://leonardcucos.com/how-to-install-freebsd-13-with-xfce-4-2021 ...

Maybe this can help? https://termbin.com/cxwo

I'm trying to get XFCE going
Lots of info overload from that site. seriously, start over and just use the FreeBSD handbook for your basic install. If more people started with that, they'd experience far less frustation. I'll cross post from the other recent, similar thread my basic install process to get an xfce environment set up:

1. Login, then su to root
2. run pkg install xorg drm-kmod xfce sddm firefox. I include some additional programs for my own purposes, but these are the basics.
3. add the necessary lines to /etc/rc.conf:
kld_list="/boot/modules/gpu_driver_here"
sddm_enabled="YES"
dbus_enabled="YES"
4. I go ahead and load the drm driver. On my laptop which is Intel graphics - kldload /boot/modules/i915kms.ko
5. Run as root startx. Once I see that X has started, I immediately exit. I have found this step to be important before running sddm or adding a line to start xfce in the ~/.xinitrc line. If I don't do this, I have found the power buttons in xfce don't work, at least without additional configuration. Doing this seems to let xfce be automatically configured.
6. Reboot with shutdown -r now The system should come up with the sddm graphical login, and go straight to the xfce session, where you can then add more utilities and programs as needed for your workflow.

Back