New User - Can't install package manager

The error we need to know is just off of the left of the picture. If it says "No address record" you need to configure DNS properly. Are you using DHCP or static addresses? DHCP should provide the proper DNS servers, if you used static addresses you probably forgot resolv.conf(5).

The error we need to know is just off of the left of the picture. If it says "No address record" you need to configure DNS properly. Are you using DHCP or static addresses? DHCP should provide the proper DNS servers, if you used static addresses you probably forgot resolv.conf(5).
Well I've tried using DHCP whenever I was setting up FreeBSD, but there was an error with getting my DHCP address. I'll take a full screenshot once I get home. I'm really confused about this so I'm not sure at all. Sorry.

How is this machine hooked up to your network? Is it connected directly to your modem, or is it just another machine on your LAN? It does look like the box lacks a working internet connection.

Since you got feedback from using ip's then try: ping google.com

What is your internet connection? Wired or wireless?

You need to use something different for forum help. Us going to random sites to troubleshoot is not ideal.

How is this machine hooked up to your network? Is it connected directly to your modem, or is it just another machine on your LAN? It does look like the box lacks a working internet connection.
Directly connected to the router with ethernet. I think it may lack an internet connection since I couldn't ping google.

Since you got feedback from using ip's then try: ping google.com

What is your internet connection? Wired or wireless?

You need to use something different for forum help. Us going to random sites to troubleshoot is not ideal.
I just tried pinging www.google.com. Unresolved host name. I'm using a wired connection.

I don't know what else to use really, I'm just really confused and I'm not sure. I've already tried looking through the documentation, but haven't found anything to help.

Sorry, /etc/ is just the path to the file rc.conf, I spelled it out since you said you were new. rc.conf is where you set up the network and lots of other things.

Try this...

Code:
cd /etc
more rc.conf

more lets you page through a text file with the space bar. In rc.conf look for the network card setup. It will be a line starting with ifconfig for example ifconfig_igb2="DHCP".

Then show us resolv.conf, for example with cat /etc/resolv.conf.

Alright, thanks. So I went into my rc.conf directory. The ifconfig line says ifconfig_em0_ipv6="inet6 accept_rtadv".

I also looked at my resolv.conf directory, but it returns with just a blank line, so I think it's empty.

Cool, progress. I don't know anything about the ipv6 flavored directives but presumably the install process knew what it was doing, and that is a legit setup. Since you can ping an IP address it's probably fine.

You're right, resolv.conf is empty. You need to edit it to add domain name servers. Use the provided easy text editor ee.

ee /etc/resolv.conf

Type in these lines, which are the Google public name servers:

Code:
nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 8.8.4.4

Then hit Esc to leave the editor, saving changes. (After you choose Leave editor it will offer to save changes or not.)

Now, see if you have good DNS, like with ping yahoo.com.

I added the domains to the .conf directory, but I get a host name lookup error when I try to ping yahoo.com. I also tried google.com and got the same message in return.

.conf isn't a directory, it's part of the filenames. rc.conf and resolv.conf are files that live inside the directory /etc .

Do cat /etc/resolv.conf and let's double check you got the file updated correctly. The trouble may be with that ipv6 directive though--I just don't know anything else about it.

Assuming you have a DHCP server on your LAN, you should be able to change

ifconfig_em0_ipv6="inet6 accept_rtadv"

to

ifconfig_em0="DHCP"

But, one thing at a time I guess. Check resolv.conf and make sure it's got those lines in it.

Someone smarter than me will come along sooner or later. :)

.conf isn't a directory, it's part of the filenames. rc.conf and resolv.conf are files that live inside the directory /etc .

Do cat /etc/resolv.conf and let's double check you got the file updated correctly. The trouble may be with that ipv6 directive though--I just don't know anything else about it.

Assuming you have a DHCP server on your LAN, you should be able to change

to

ifconfig_em0="DHCP"

But, one thing at a time I guess. Check resolv.conf and make sure it's got those lines in it.

Someone smarter than me will come along sooner or later. :)
Just checked resolv.conf and saw those lines there, but still can't ping those sites. Well, thanks for helping me anyways.

I would try changing the ifconfig directive.

Use ee and edit rc.conf. Put a # before the existing ifconfig line, to turn it off. Just below the old line, add:

ifconfig_em0="DHCP"

Leave ee, save the file, and reboot the machine. Then see if anything is different.

I would try changing the ifconfig directive.

Use ee and edit rc.conf. Put a # before the existing ifconfig line, to turn it off. Just below the old line, add:

ifconfig_em0="DHCP"

Leave ee, save the file, and reboot the machine. Then see if anything is different.
I'm not sure what you mean by adding # before the existing ifconfig line. When I go into rc.conf to edit, it's blank so there's nothing to put # before.

When I go into rc.conf to edit, it's blank so there's nothing to put # before.

Sounds like you're opening a new file instead of /etc/rc.conf. Unless you're already in the /etc directory you're going to get an empty (new) file. You need to be in the right directory or else give the complete path like this:
Code:
ee /etc/rc.conf

PS: Reading through the above posts, I think it would be worth your while to read a little about "file", "directory", and "directory tree". :) It is imperative that you understand those words completely if you wish to have any success with computers. It doesn't matter what operating system you apply the words to, so you can just as well be reading about Windows in this case. Whatever you find handy.

Not sure at all but I think he meant there was a blank line before the existing ifconfig line, so my instruction to comment it out didn't make sense because it wasn't clear that the # goes at the beginning of the line...

On a mobile device, I will follow up later.

OK w3e4r7yu890 --

Find this line in rc.conf:

Code:

"Comment it out" it by putting a # in front, like this. This will turn that line off, but keep it visible for your reference.

Code:
#ifconfig_em0_ipv6="inet6 accept_rtadv"

Then, just under it, add this line, which will tell the machine to use ipv4 DHCP to pick up an IP address and DNS from whatever does that for your LAN now.

Code:
ifconfig_em0="DHCP"

Then, reboot and see how it goes.

Back