New motherboard - X does not start

zeiz said:
Yes, that seems to be the solution, because:
[CMD=""]$ pciconf -l | grep vga[/CMD]
Code:
vgapci0@pci0:0:2:0: class=0x030000 card=0x836d1043 chip=[B]0x2e32[/B]8086 rev=0x03 hdr=0x00

And some lines in the patch:
Code:
555	 {0x8086, [B]0x2E32[/B], CHIP_I9XX|CHIP_I965, "Intel G41"}, \
648	 (dev)->pci_device == [B]0x2E32[/B])
657	 (dev)->pci_device == [B]0x2E32[/B] || \

So, I can add these lines to the headers sys/dev/drm/drm_pciids.h and sys/dev/drm/i915_drv.h. But how should I proceed after that? What should I recompile, modify, etc.?

vermaden said:
Rebuild i915.ko module.

Ok. Just to make sure, is this all?

As root:
modify headers according to the patch
[CMD=""]cd /usr/src/sys/modules/drm/i915
make[/CMD]
and then reboot?

You do not need to reboot, just make commands that achix posted, it will unload current module, build the new one and load the new one.

Nest try Xorg with intel driver.

I have rebuilt /usr/src/sys/modules/drm/i915 and /usr/src/sys/modules/drm/drm with make and make install
X still does not start with 'intel':
Code:
drm0: <Intel G41> on vgapci0
error [drm:pid 1241: drm_load] *ERROR* Card isn't AGP or couldn't initialize AGP
I have found some reports like this. So now I also added my device (0x2E328086) to agp_i810.c after line 177. What should I rebuild now?

achix said:
agp IIRC is compiled in his kernel, so he should do a full kernel rebuild.
Rebuilding only agp did not help, still the same error.
For rebuilding the kernel, is this ok?
Add MODULES_OVERRIDE = agp to /etc/make.conf:
Then:
[CMD=""]
# cd /usr/src
# make buildkernel KERNCONF=GENERIC
# make installkernel KERNCONF=GENERIC
[/CMD]

Yes I forgot that agp.ko by default is in kernel, as others suggested, you need to rebuild the kernel ... or build kernel without agp in, so you will have to rebuild only a module to check next changes.

So I have rebuilt the kernel. Now the problem is that I get the error message that linproc cannot be mounted from fstab

[CMD="kldstat |"]grep lin[/CMD] should give smth like
Code:
 8    2 0xffffffff81026000 1c53f    linux.ko
 9    1 0xffffffff81022000 3a28     linprocfs.ko

whats your case?

The good news is that X now works with 'intel'. The bad news is that linux kernel modules are not loaded and the net does not work (ale0). Should I copy modules from /boot/kernel.old to /boot/kernel except for the modified agp? Now I have only agp.ko, agp.ko.symbols, kernel, kernel.symbols and linker.hints in in /boot/kernel/

It makes sense to backup new agp.ko and then try to copy modules from /boot/kernel.old except old agp.ko.

Sorry, I'm too late and had no chance to prevent you from modifying make.conf that way: it builds only the modules following MODULES_OVERRIDE, now you know yourself :).
Personally I have custom config file instead of GENERIC and this line in make.conf:
Code:
MODULES_OVERRIDE= acpi linux linprocfs sound/sound /sound/driver/emu10k1 msdosfs ntfs zfs opensolaris zlib
but I wouldn't customize as much, I'd rather stay with GENERIC this time without modifying make.conf.
BTW you don't need to mention KERNCONF=GENERIC since it builds and installs GENERIC by default.

Back