Solved New install hangs after USB removed

I followed guides here about mounting USB drive with ntfs using fuse and changing rc.conf and all. But after I removed the drive and restarted the box, the box hangs, please see image below. Besides fixing such issues, is there a way to get back into the installation when this happens? Like loading a terminal? No Linux comparison here, but is there something like "Alt+Shift+F1" that gives a user a working terminal?
Cheers.

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
What change in /etc/rc.conf did you make? To get to another virtual terminal, hit "ctrl+alt+F2" or F3, etc.

I installed sysutils/fusefs-ntfs
rc.conf has "ntfs_load="YES", "fusefs_enable="YES", "fuse_enable="YES"

I also did
Code:
kldload fuse
and made it permanent in rc.conf. Can't remember the exact line at the moment but I think it is
Code:
kld_list="fuse"
. The drive mounted no problem but could not unmount hence trouble with getting back into the installation.

Last edited by a moderator:
You just need this line of code in the /boot/loader.conf
Code:
fuse_load="YES"

Ok I will move it from rc.conf to loader.conf after trying Alt+F1 and so on. Hopefully that will let me back in the machine. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's weird... I just tested the stuff on a 12.1-STABLE (VM) and sysutils/fuse-ntfs works almost well if you mount with ntfs-3g, provided you loaded the fuse module.

Beware that the guide you mention may be outdated (2009, FreeBSD 7.2).

Well so I was able to mount the ntfs drive with
Code:
ntfs-3g /dev/da5s1 /mnt/
but I could not unmount it.

But I have an issue with a linux drive that I mounted just yesterday with as root
Code:
mount -t ext2fs /dev/ada1p1 /media

Today I get
Code:
root@luna:~ # mount -t ext2fs /dev/ada1p1 /media
mount: /dev/ada1p1: Operation not permitted
Maybe I am missing something.

There is nothing mounted on /media

Code:
root@luna:~ # fsck -t ext2fs /dev/ada1p1
fsck: exec fsck_ext2fs for /dev/ada1p1 in /sbin:/usr/sbin: No such file or directory

Code:
=>        34  7814037101    ada1  GPT  (3.6T)
          34        2014          - free -  (1.0M)
        2048  7814033408  ada1p1  linux-data  (3.6T)
  7814035456        1679          - free -  (840K)

Back