New handbook page on rebuilding world

I recently looked at the handbook page on rebuilding world. I have to admit it has been a few months since I checked the page, but what I found this time was confusing and jumbled even for someone who has used FreeBSD for years.

The page used to be a very simple set of instructions:

1. update src from svn with this specific command xxxxx
2. make certain key subdirectories first, i.e., make /usr/src/...
3. make buildworld
4. make buildkernel
5. make installkernel
6. reboot to single user
7. make installworld
8 mergemaster -p
9 mergemaster

However now it is a jumbled mess, that gives instructions twice in different ways, is chronologically out of order, and talks about things in a theoretical way and introduces targets. But never gives you the actual canonical succinct way to update the system.

bufo333 said:
However now it is a jumbled mess, that gives instructions twice in different ways, is chronologically out of order, and talks about things in a theoretical way and introduces targets. But never gives you the actual canonical succinct way to update the system.
Is it possible that you're looking into a localized handbook (so written in a language other than English)?

Because if I look at chapter 24.7 of the Handbook it doesn't quite match your description. Although it does summarize the theories behind the recommended update sequence it also provides you with a very clear and strict list of commands to use.

One where every command is followed by a small explanation, which gets repeated in a more summarized form.

I studied this page when I had build the userland for my jail (also to learn how I should update my jail) and quite frankly the whole sequence made perfect sense to me.

From /usr/src/Makefile:

Code:
#  1.  `cd /usr/src'       (or to the directory containing your source tree).
#  2.  `make buildworld'
#  3.  `make buildkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE'     (default is GENERIC).
#  4.  `make installkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE'   (default is GENERIC).
#       [steps 3. & 4. can be combined by using the "kernel" target]
#  5.  `reboot'        (in single user mode: boot -s from the loader prompt).
#  6.  `mergemaster -p'
#  7.  `make installworld'
#  8.  `make delete-old'
#  9.  `mergemaster'            (you may wish to use -i, along with -U or -F).
# 10.  `reboot'
# 11.  `make delete-old-libs' (in case no 3rd party program uses them anymore)

OK maybe I just need some coffee. It looks OK now. I was just a little confused with the way it presented the steps without much explanation, then it goes into more detailed explanation, then back to a list with steps, then to a more detailed discussion of targets. Once you sprinkle in a couple big red warning boxes the page just looked cluttered to me with the actual concise steps buried in the middle, without the sort of emphasis of the warning blocks I glanced over them.

I'm off to get some coffee.

Back