FreeBSD losing Trident?

Well, I guess the logical followup to the last year TrueOS direction change would be a TrueNAS based desktop or something like that.

(No, not really.)

I would not worry too much. Soon they will try to tie ZFS with the init system, and people will face NAS boxes not properly rebooting.

I personally prefer an OS that has less ties to a specific corporation. I notice that decisions tend to be less correct when governed by companies rather than developers.

My main worry would be funding; I know ixSystems has provided financial support in the past and developer / employee time to spend on a number of things which will be sad to lose.

That said, FreeBSD still has a large list of donors here so this certainly isn't the end!:
https://www.freebsdfoundation.org/donors/

I have an actual dislike of current open-source desktop environments (all broken, bloated pieces of shite) so the fact that DE-centric PC-BSD (or other names) might discontinue doesn't at all affect me. That said, I do understand that some people might like modern DE's (possibly they weren't around to experience the days when DEs were acceptable and Sun Microsystems were actually performing sane user-studies on professional people rather than gamer kids). However, again this isn't the end; the ports collection or packages is still the correct way to install these kinds of software. Absolutely no need for a 3rd party distribution to do this.

I am just worried that FreeBSDs relevance is vanishing slowly by more and more companies jumping on the Linux brandwagon. I just don't like monopolies, and I don't like the fact that Linux is drifting away from its roots too much - systemd/linuxisms are creeping in which increases the amount of work for FreeBSD devs to port software.

I am just worried that FreeBSDs relevance is vanishing slowly by more and more companies jumping on the Linux brandwagon.

True but it also used to be "I am just worried that Linuxs relevance is vanishing slowly by more and more companies jumping on the Microsoft Windows brandwagon"

History has repeatedly shown us that relevance is not entirely aligned with popularity.

My theory is Microsoft Windows was not a bandwagon at all but a result of Microsoft flooding the market back in the late 80's early 90's. People simply had no choice at that time anyway. Not really relevant to the subject at hand though...

I also prefer an OS where I have full control over the process of choosing how I want it to look if I am using it as a desktop. Server, who cares, it's all cli anyway, or should be. Whether I am using FreeBSD or Linux, I always build my desktop environment to my liking. The only one DE that I actually have found to be the least trouble at least in my experience, is Mate`. I was a big Gnome 2 fan though.

Back