network switches - which one do u guys prefer

Hi guys,

Just out of curiosity, which network switches do you prefer and why (DC and office)?

Here's a small list:

Hp ProCurve
Allied Telesis
Netgear

In our DC, we have HP ProCurve (2910al-48g) and some Brocade (FC) and Netgear (4 or 8 ports switches) in the office. So far, we had no problems, but I'm curious about someone else's experience.

At work we use HP ProCurve switches just about everywhere. In the secondary schools, all the switches are managed as we do a lot of vlan stuff. In the elementaries, they are unmanaged. And we have the odd 3Com (which is now HP ProCurve) PoE switches (also managed) since they come in 8-port varieties (ProCurve PoE start at 24-port, which is overkill for 1-2 items needing PoE).

We don't use 8-port ProCurve switches, though, as they come with external power bricks which are very unreliable.

I've always gone for 3Com in most cases (now HP) as they seem to offer the best functionality and reliability for what you pay. If a project has deep pockets, I'd probably choose Extreme.

We're using ProCurve and Allied Telesyn. No issues with either. We also have consumer series Netgear devices which die on some IPv6 packages and jumbo frames.

Back