Solved Network Setup. please help

First off I'm new to FreeBSD... I did the install DVD with port collection and I'm working my way through the man page by page... currently 4.5 Using Ports Collection

I'm trying to figure out how to configure my various /etc/ and I started receiving this error
Code:
ntpd[741]: error resolving pool 0.freebsd.pool.ntp.org hostname nor sername provided, or not known (8)
now, I can't pkg update -f
I'm not sure what I did wrong the last thing before this happen I believe was make fetchindex and I got so excited I wanted to try and un pkg is weather pkg that tells me the temperature... just starting you know.. K.I.S.S...
However, it seems like my hostname or something is misconfigured

I'm using DCHP, and I can ping 8.8.8.8, the DNS isn't set yet so I can't ping google.com.... So I know I can send, but it seems I can't receive... would someone point me in the right direction?

i'm trying to figure out how to conf. my various /etc/ and i started receiving this error

ntpd[741]: error resolving pool 0.freebsd.pool.ntp.org hostname nor sername provided, or not known (8)

now, i can't pkg update -f
Seems like a DNS issue, look into /etc/resolv.conf see what that says. Most likely it doesn't give you the right options, or maybe it has been set to 127.0.0.1 while you don't use a local resolver.

There are several ways to solve this. You could edit /etc/resolv.conf to add the right nameserver. For example:

Code:
nameserver 8.8.8.8
However, if you do this then you may need to tell your DHCP client that it should not mess with the nameserver settings. You can do that by editing /etc/dhclient.conf see also dhclient.conf(5). Not the most elegant solution though.

Another option is to enable 'local unbound'. This is a local caching DNS resolver which can act as your local DNS "server". In that sense that it can do lookups and cache the results for you.

You can enable that by adding "local_unbound_enable="YES"" to /etc/rc.conf, and then use # service local_unbound start to start it, that should also solve this problem. See also chapter 28.7 in the FreeBSD handbook.

Hope this can help.

First off thank for responding!

So the resolve.conf is set to:
Code:
nameserver 127.0.0.1
'BTW nameserver can be anything right? like an aliases. for example nameserver 8.8.8.8 should be changed to google.com 8.8.8.8 , then i can ping google.com, instead of ping 8.8.8.8 ??? '

the /etc/rc.conf has:
Code:
local_unbound_enable="YES"
and is currently running...

The error of pkg update -f returns unable to update repository FreeBSD
what sticks out to me is:
Code:
load error .... no such file or directory                                          "ok, that's want i want so go get that"
but then,,,,  No address record, No meta file using default             "ok so i need it to know me? or resolve this pkg.FreeBSD.org/......  " 
then,,,, No address record                                                           "ok so again it appears like DNS issue but"
I still get this hostname nor servname provided error resolving pool.

Ok so my hostname is = w0lf3.3fl0w.myland
In the man states i can name this whatever i want, and it looks vaild and i should be unique, but I think the router doesn't know that w0lf3.3fl0w.myland exists so it can't complete the TCP handshake?

when i mean that i'm new to FreeBSD it means this is day 3 of the original boot from the
FreeBSD-11.1-RELEASE-amd64-dvd1

so this is a clean box like, pkg installed are:
package manager pkg-1.10.1 (which should be pkg2ng already)
the FreeBSD doc

So the resolve.conf is set to:
It's resolv.conf, not resolve.conf.

BTW nameserver can be anything right? like an aliases. for example nameserver 8.8.8.8 should be changed to google.com 8.8.8.8 , then i can ping google.com, instead of ping 8.8.8.8 ??? '
No, it cannot. See resolv.conf(5). Don't confuse this file with hosts(5).

In the man states i can name this whatever i want, and it looks vaild and i should be unique, but I think the router doesn't know that w0lf3.3fl0w.myland exists so it can't complete the TCP handshake?
Hostnames are irrelevant for TCP (or UDP) to work. Does it matter if you know the name of the person you are calling? All you really need is the phone-number. You use the name to lookup the number but you actually dial the number, not a person's name, to call them. With TCP/IP it's the same thing. You only use DNS to lookup the IP address for a certain name but the connection itself is made using the IP address.

It's resolv.conf, not resolve.conf.

No, it cannot. See resolv.conf(5). Don't confuse this file with hosts(5).

Hostnames are irrelevant for TCP (or UDP) to work. Does it matter if you know the name of the person you are calling? All you really need is the phone-number. You use the name to lookup the number but you actually dial the number, not a person's name, to call them. With TCP/IP it's the same thing. You only use DNS to lookup the IP address for a certain name but the connection itself is made using the IP address.

Yes, yes, that all makes sense. i see the difference in /etc/hosts then resolv.conf
however, now i'm in the dark.... hmmmm

Ok my namesever is 127.0.0.1 , but my inet is 192.168.1.67......
but that's not it because 127.0.0.1 is for my internal network, where as my 192.168.1.67 changes when issued by ISP router?....

man i'm in the weeds.... ok.. so ntpd is network time protocol something.... so is my network issue because i'm not sync?...
i'm just grasping now lol..

Errors like "no address" or "unknown hostname" almost always point to resolving issues. I'll try and explain what is happening. Your /etc/resolv.conf has a nameserver pointing to localhost (127.0.0.1). On localhost you have local_unbound running. It listens for those requests. Depending on the unbound.conf(5) configuration, local_unbound will try to resolve the request.

But first make sure you actually have a connection and can talk to other internet hosts by pinging 8.8.8.8. It should respond. If you do not get a response there's no reason to look for resolving issues. You need to have basic TCP/IP connectivity first, then move on to DNS resolving.

If that works, check the settings for resolving, one step at a time. First /etc/resolv.conf, then see if unbound(8) is running. Move onto logs for unbound(8), try and see what it is doing and where it might be failing. Step through your diagnoses, don't try and cut corners.

Fist thanks for walking me through this :)

connection is up , i can ping 8.8.8.8., /etc/resolv.conf looks good,
sockstat -4 & -6 shows unbound up on port 53

i must have missed some step setting up the network

Can you paste your /etc/resolv.conf file?

Also, what does it tell you when you try to look up a hostname? For example drill google.com?

search attlocal.net
# nameserver 192.168.1.254
nameserver 127.0.0.1
options edns0

drill google.com
opcode Query, rcode: servfail

Back