Solved Network settings not persistent

So I spend my money and get a FreeBSD 10.3 DVD in the mail. I try to install it. Bogus behavior trying to set up the static IP address info during the install process. Thought I could fix that by editing /etc/rc.conf to set the IP address, netmask and default gateway.

That doesn't work like all the man pages say it should. What's the secret handshake?

mjb.

Last edited by a moderator:
It should "Just Work". Are you aware that unlike in the Linux, in the FreeBSD are interfaces named after their driver? So you don't have eth0, but em0, bge0... etc.

Show us your /etc/rc.conf file and output of the ifconfig command.

rc.conf relevant lines:
Code:
hostname="fizzer.bradakis.com"
ifconfig_nfe0="inet 50.198.190.20 netmask=255.255.255.248"
default_router="50.198.190.22"
ifconfig -a output:
Code:
nfe0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
    options=82008<VLAN_MTU,WOL_MAGIC,LINKSTATE>
    ether 70:71:bc:7e:8d:51
    nd6 options=29<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
    media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex>)
Yes, it seems like it should just work. As a bit of background, I was a sys admin at the U of Utah Computer Science department, one of the first 5 sites on the net, for a quarter of a century. I do have some experience with BSD variations over the years, though I've been out of the loop for a while and my memory probably isn't what it used to be. Basically, I'm not a total newbie here.

mjb.

Thanks. Network settings persist. Now to get postfix, mailman, and some HTTPD server set up and running.

mjb.

ps: Reminds me of the old days, one admin would be sitting at the keyboard staring at a piece of slightly broken code for hours trying to figure it out. Another admin would walk in, glance over his shoulder and say something like "Shouldn't that X be a Y?"

CIDR notation can be used also, which greatly reduces the length:
Code:
ifconfig_nfe0="inet 50.198.190.20/29"

Back