network programming, successful telnet connection, but can not communicate

telnet session will connect, but I cannot communicate during session. I don't see the customized welcome message for each new accepted connection that is in the program. I type in the telnet window, but the program doesn't receive the message.

If I do
[cmd=]netstat -a[/cmd]
I see the Recv-Q with bytes of pending data, but Send-Q is empty. I executed different programming projects, from different websites, but same results. So I assume that my firewall settings are to blame.

[ see http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=31340 -- Mod. ]

Please, any suggestions?

Code:
 int status, socketFileDesc, newFileDesc, bytes_sent, len;
 struct addrinfo hints;
 struct addrinfo *result;
 struct sockaddr_storage their_addr;
 socklen_t addr_size;
 char buff[4096];

memset(&hints, 0, sizeof(hints)); 

hints.ai_family = AF_INET; //IPV4 
 hints.ai_socktype = SOCK_STREAM; //TCP stream sockets
 hints.ai_flags = AI_PASSIVE; //fills in local IP address automatically

getaddrinfo(NULL, "3490", &hints, &result );

socketFileDesc = socket(result->ai_family, result->ai_socktype, result->ai_protocol);
 bind(socketFileDesc,result->ai_addr, result->ai_addrlen);
 listen(socketFileDesc, BACKLOG);

strcpy(buff, "Hello Process \n");

while(1){
 addr_size = sizeof(their_addr);
 newFileDesc = accept(socketFileDesc, (struct sockaddr *) &their_addr, &addr_size);

len = strlen(buff);
 send(newFileDesc, buff,len , 0);

}

Code:
 hints.ai_family = AF_INET; //IPV4 
 hints.ai_socktype = SOCK_STREAM; //TCP stream sockets
[color="Red"]-hints.ai_flags = AI_PASSIVE; //fills in local IP address automatically[/color]
[color="YellowGreen"]+hints.ai_flags = AI_NUMERICSERV | AI_PASSIVE;[/color]

getaddrinfo(NULL, "3490", &hints, &result );
see getaddrinfo(3) for more info about AI_NUMERICSERV flag.

Thanks for the suggestion PseudoCylon but same result.

I decided to use the "older" way of setting up for socket programming. I was able to get it to work temporarily, but I'm not sure how since I deleted and redone all the steps in my first thread that is linked in the first post.

But after a while of working (displaying hello to all new connections), it would just connect and not display anything. I would have to restart the entire computer to get it to work temporarily again, then it would stop again.

Here is the code I got to temporarily work from a website.

Code:
#include <string.h>
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <sys/socket.h>
#include <netinet/in.h>
#include <netdb.h>
#include <stdio.h>

#define BACKLOG 10 //pending connections queued

int main()
{
  int servsock, backlog, err,cliLen, clisock, numBytes;
  struct sockaddr_in servaddr, cliaddr;
   servsock = socket( AF_INET, SOCK_STREAM, 0);

memset( &servaddr, 0, sizeof(servaddr) );

servaddr.sin_family = AF_INET;
   servaddr.sin_port = htons(3490);
   servaddr.sin_addr.s_addr = inet_addr("192.168.0.111");

char buff[4096];

err = bind( servsock, (struct sockaddr *)&servaddr,sizeof(servaddr));
  listen(servsock,BACKLOG);

strcpy(buff, "Hello Process");

while(1){
 cliLen = sizeof(cliaddr);
 clisock = accept( servsock, (struct sockaddr *)&cliaddr, &cliLen );

send(clisock,buff, strlen(buff), MSG_DONTWAIT);

//numBytes = recv(clisock, buff,sizeof(buff),MSG_DONTWAIT);
   // recv(clisock, buff,sizeof(buff),  MSG_PEEK);

//printf(buff);
 close(clisock);
  }
}

Are there any terminal commands to free up any references to a socket that has been closed? Or close a socket that is listening, even though the program that initialized it has already been closed?

Just researched how to kill processes. I'm using the "old version" of socket programming that I posted above. I'll kill the suspecting processes that may still be referencing ports, even though my program closed.

So the following steps I will use when there is too much reference to the same port and/or too many anonymous references to ports; which may have occurred as I continually ran/stop the program.

Code:
netstat -a
To check if there are too much anonymous references to *[port number] and to check if the port specified in my program is in LISTEN mode, though the program has already closed.

Code:
lsof -i -n
Display which process has a anonymous reference to the *[port number] or reference the specific port that is used in my program. I noticed my program had 9 references to random ports in addition to the port I specified in the program, even though my program was closed.

Code:
kill -9 PID
Use this to kill the processes.

These steps are a temporary solution for, until I find a permanent solution for this issue. It keeps me from continually having to restart my program.

Thanks for all your help guys.

EDIT: make sure you have root credentials while in the terminal that you are running the above code, this ensures you get more information when you run the lsof command.

Back