Network down on startup

I have done a fresh install of FreeBSD 8.1 on my machine and have configured the wireless card. However on startup the network is down until I run /etc/netstart. This alone will resolve the issue. I also have a lan connection (vr0) configured but not using that currently. I only want to use the wireless port.

I am also seeing a
Code:
need multicast update callback[.code] error but not sure if it's related.

[FILE]/etc/rc.conf[/FILE]:

[CODE]keymap="us.iso"
sshd_enable="YES"
# -- sysinstall generated deltas -- # Sat Oct 30 14:40:09 2010
ifconfig_vr0="inet 192.168.1.200  netmask 255.255.255.0"
defaultrouter="192.168.1.1"
hostname="dummydomain.com"

wlans_malo0="wlan0"
ifconfig_wlan0="WPA 192.168.1.201 netmask 255.255.255.0 ssid someSSID"

/boot/loader.conf:
Code:
if_malo_load="YES"
ath_load="YES"
wlan_scan_ap_load="YES"
wlan_scan_sta_load="YES"
wlan_ccmp_load="YES"
wlan_tkip_load="YES"
if_vlan_load="YES"

Can anyone suggest why the network doesn't come up automatically?

The problem is not exactly what I thought. When the box first boots it cannot ping the hub/router as it errors with
Code:
No route to host
. Running /etc/netstart fixes that error. However I am unable at this point to ping servers outside of the lan as it will error with
Code:
No route to host

The default_router is set in /etc/rc.conf so I am lost. Using the Cat5 network cable works OK.

I am lost about what is wrong here.

Fixed. I don't understand it but all works since I commented out the line referring to the cat5 nic vr0. Is it normal to have such problems on one nic when another has been disconnected?

You can't have two network interfaces with overlapping addresses. You have to put the other network interface into a separate address space, for example change the wireless interface to
Code:
ifconfig_wlan0="WPA 192.168.2.201 netmask 255.255.255.0 ssid someSSID"
If you absolutely must have both NICs in the same address space you can use bridging, see if_bridge(4).

kpa said:
You can't have two network interfaces with overlapping addresses. You have to put the other network interface into a separate address space
<snip>If you absolutely must have both NICs in the same address space you can use <snip>
If by address space you mean subnet sure you can have two interfaces on the same one. The caveat is that one and only interface can have a full subnet assigned to it. Any other address in the subnet must be assigned a /32 address, but it will be able to communicate normally routed through the full subnet interface. That's a pretty common practice in jails, but would make no sense for the OP appears to be doing.

Thanks pka and Galactic Dominator for your responses. I understand now why it didn't work in that configuration. I was using the RJ45 port on the lan to run portsnap among others before getting the wireless working.

The RJ45 port cannot be used in its location so I will leave it commented out in rc.conf. It's just a media/backup server at home in the garage.

Back