netflow in FreeBSD

m69

Hi all. I want to use Netflow in FreeBSD. Who can help me? How I can use it in FreeBSD?
Thanks.

ecazamir

I like net-mgmt/ipcad for netflow export. For reports, Adventnet Netflow Analyzer is a good tool, but the last time I checked it didn't run on FreeBSD.

• Thanks
Reactions: m69

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

Netflow works fine. Ecazamir just said that "Adventnet Netflow Analyzer" doesn't run on FreeBSD. But besides that there are plenty of working Netflow tools.

But I have to ask, do you even know what Netflow is or does?

OP
OP
M

m69

I just know that Netflow can tell us about the traffic of the network, but really I don't know how it works on FreeBSD. I understand that I should install different ports but after that what I should do?

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

I'd suggest finding out how Netflow works in general. Once you figure that out it should be relatively easy to find what to install.

RusDyr

I usually recommend ng_netflow + flow-tools. I use it on regular basis in ISP's environment.

throAU

Aspiring Daemon

SirDice said:
I'd suggest finding out how Netflow works in general. Once you figure that out it should be relatively easy to find what to install.
To elaborate on this:

Usng "netflow" requires:

- netflow export from your network device(s) - e.g. on Cisco IOS "ip flow-export destination x.x.x.x yyyy"
- a netflow collector daemon/application to stick the exported flow info into a database
- an analysis tool to report on the netflow information collected.

What bits are you trying to do on FreeBSD?