net/minidlna: newly added files?

zirias@

Developer
I use net/minidlna to serve media files to my TV set, with a single media_dir containing symlinks to a few folders that actually contain the files. Option inotify=yes is set.

Now, when adding new files, *sometimes* it works as expected, but most of the time, I need to restart the service with
Code:
service minidlna stop
service minidlna rescan
in order to pick up the new files.

Now, I see "inotify" is a Linux-specific API and running on FreeBSD, you need some other solution. Does anyone know whether this is handled in net/minidlna, and if so, is there something I need to configure to make this work reliably?

IOW, it should work "natively". Then, what am I missing? :eek:
I can post my minidlna.conf if it helps, but didn't change anything relevant from the default/example one delivered by the port…

edit: side note, nice to see there's a compatibility shim, didn't even know about devel/libinotify so far ;)

IOW, it should work "natively". Then, what am I missing?
Maybe it does need a switch, similar to inotify=yes but for kqueue(2) to "turn on". I didn't look too deeply into it.

side note, nice to see there's a compatibility shim, didn't even know about devel/libinotify so far
Yes, it's been available for a while. Specifically for ports that require inotify, there seems to be quite a few of them.

Thanks, will have another look and maybe dive into the code myself. Would still be nice if someone using this port might have a quick answer ;)

I use this port and I have the same issue, but I don't think it is FreeBSD specific because if you look around other people on various Linux report the same. I just restart the service when I add new files. I was using minimserver before this and it required restart when adding file to, so I just became used to it.

Back