net-mgmt/iftop garbled characters

On all of my FreeBSD 13.0-RELEASE servers, iftop displays garbled characters in place of horizontal lines like this:

1636056891034.png

I've reinstalled iftop and verified that ncurses is already installed. Still I am unable to display a clean iftop screen. Does anyone have suggestions or tips to share?

~Doug

How do I switch to a non-unicode locale? At least how do I verify this? Can you point me toward additional references?

Never mind- I found the command to list locale.

[root@squid 16.Nov 11:05pm /usr/ports/net-mgmt/iftop]# locale LANG=C.UTF-8 LC_CTYPE="C.UTF-8" LC_COLLATE="C.UTF-8" LC_TIME="C.UTF-8" LC_NUMERIC="C.UTF-8" LC_MONETARY="C.UTF-8" LC_MESSAGES="C.UTF-8" LC_ALL=

Since this is for the root account, it appears to be good practice not to change the locale.

BTW, I do not run x11. This is on the console.

not sure what to do next. Any hints?

I seem to recall a clean interface when I ran iftop on FreeBSD v12. I am running 13.0-RELEASE at the moment. Did anything change between these two releases that may have affected this?

Perhaps the issue is with using sc versus vt terminal emulators.
Or their parameters (like hw.vga.textmode=1).
Or console fonts.

It turned out it was my VT terminal emulator, SecureCRT. The character encoding was set to DEFAULT. Once I changed it to UTF-8, the horizontal lines were shown cleanly.

Sorry for the noise!

~Doug

Back