Solved Need to copy data from old FreeNAS server

theITguy English only please. Rule #9: https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/freebsd-forums-rules.38922/

FreeNAS is not supported here: GhostBSD, pfSense, TrueNAS, and all other FreeBSD Derivatives

mount_smbfs(8) only supports SMBv1. Don't know how Samba is configured on FreeNAS, but they likely disabled SMBv1 due to its inherent insecurity.
Hey SirDice,

Sorry because of the Language. Thank You for you´re answer.
Helped a lot. I find out that our system is not compatibel because it´s too Old. Such a shame. :-(

Now I don´t really know what I schould do.
Any Idea?

I dont know how to Copy that Backup data on a USB3 Storage.
Our Company need that we copy the Backup Data on 2 USB3 Storage to be save.

I do truth Remote Window but it copying the data with 5Mgb/s o_O. We have to copy 12 Terra.

Thanks for Help.
Forum is amazing.

[Mod: question split off to its own thread]

I dont know how to Copy that Backup data on a USB3 Storage.
I don't know if FreeNAS supports sysutils/fusefs-ntfs but you might be able to use FAT32 instead. It depends on the files you need to backup/copy. FAT32 has a maximum filesize of 2GB.

I do truth Remote Window but it copying the data with 5Mgb/s
Remote file copy is going to be limited to the network speed, on 10Gbps it's still going to take a while. Using net/rsync is going to be a better solution if you're stuck copying over the network. You can just restart the rsync if it fails or drops out after a while.

hmmm... ok

I have 6 SSD in FreeNAS, they are in NTFS and the system accepted because the Backup works.
What I don´t understannd that why doesn´t work. 🤔

I think it must be the Version of FreeNAS...

I have 6 SSD in FreeNAS, they are in NTFS and the system accepted because the Backup works.
Doubtful. The local filesystem has nothing to with it (that's likely ZFS actually). Or are you saying you're backing up to a USB 3 external drive that's formatted with NTFS now?

As it's an old system are you sure it has USB 3 ports? You're not going to get USB 3 speeds if you connect a USB 3 external drive to an USB 2 port.

Doubtful. The local filesystem has nothing to with it (that's likely ZFS actually). Or are you saying you're backing up to a USB 3 external drive that's formatted with NTFS now?

As it's an old system are you sure it has USB 3 ports? You're not going to get USB 3 speeds if you connect a USB 3 external drive to an USB 2 port.
And in addition only connect self-powered external USB3 drives to USB2 ports. USB2 ports are specified to provide max. 0.5 A, while USB3 ports may provide 3 times as much current. For this reason USB2 bus powered devices come sometimes with 2 USB-A connecters, while with USB3 drives this is not necessary when connected to USB3 ports. When connected to USB2 ports there is a high risk of a power cut because of over-current on the bus in the middle of the operation.

Thanks for answers.

The FreeNAS is like 50 meter from our Office in a separated Hall. I thought, I will do from my Office the copy. I have an IGEL Desktop PC and I would like via Remote Desktop that file copying that I dont nees each time go down to FreeNAS to copying the Data. We have at FreeNAS very limited Place and a lot of Dust. :'‑(

So the USB3 is in my IGEL PC locked in.
We use Windows Server 2012 R2, my Remote Desktop is Windows 10, we use iSCSI and SMB for connecting to the FreeNAS. Thats all fine Works.

Aniway via LAN is faster than USB2. Therefore we didn´t even try with USB2 Local. LAN works with 1Gb/s in our system, it depend on of cource how busy is our server system.

I work with FreeNAS like a month and my knowledge all what I have is from you guys, all what I read you´re comments and FreeNAS Guide. 🤝🙏🧑‍💻

Back