Need recommendation on FTP package

It appears that Proftpd is now marked as broken, so I need to install a new ftp package....any suggestions on one that is easy to maintain?

Try ftp/pure-ftpd - it's a good one. It has loads of features and is easy to setup. Specifically, I liked it for its support atomic uploads, which makes it good for editing web sites, which is what I used it for. I don't use it anymore, because I no longer allow FTP at all, but I used it for a long time, and it always did the job.

More: http://www.pureftpd.org/

I just updated my ports collection with portsnap fetch, portsnap extract, portsnap update and its still showing as broken.

well I have updated the ports collection multiple times and it still shows the old broken version of proftpd.

Can you post the exact error message you're getting when you try to build it?

Code:
www# make clean install
===>  Cleaning for proftpd-1.3.4a_3
===>  proftpd-1.3.4a_3 is marked as broken: __FreeBSD_libc_enter_restricted_mode is not supported.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/ftp/proftpd.
www#

I updated the ports tree with the portsnap commands but it never updates this port beyond this version.

Suggestions?

OS level:
Code:
FreeBSD www 7.1-RELEASE-p5 FreeBSD 7.1-RELEASE-p5 #0: Wed May  6 18:10:51 PDT 2009     [emaildeleted[/email]:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

Im pretty sure your 7.1 FreeBSD is extremely outdated and no longer supported. You should considering moving to 8.x or 9.x.

Code:
FreeBSD www 7.1-RELEASE-p15 FreeBSD 7.1-RELEASE-p15 #0: Tue Nov  9 05:59:11 UTC 2010     [email]root@i386-builder.daemonology.net[/email]:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

Are you sure you ran the # freebsd-update install after # freebsd-update fetch.

It was supposed to update /usr/include/unistd.h with a new API which is what it is checking for.

If this command does not return 1 then something isn't right:

Code:
[CMD="#"]grep -c '__FreeBSD_libc_enter_restricted_mode' /usr/include/unistd.h[/CMD]

Yes I ran install after the fetch. your command returns a 0 and here is what is returned when I run fetch:
Code:
www# freebsd-update fetch
Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 3 mirrors found.
Fetching metadata signature for 7.1-RELEASE from update4.FreeBSD.org... done.
Fetching metadata index... done.
Inspecting system... done.
Preparing to download files... done.

No updates needed to update system to 7.1-RELEASE-p16.

WARNING: FreeBSD 7.1-RELEASE-p15 HAS PASSED ITS END-OF-LIFE DATE.
Any security issues discovered after Mon Jan 31 17:00:00 MST 2011
will not have been corrected.
www#

Oh based on that warning I would guess it never applied this patch. This patch was recently released in 2012.

You should start by reading the handbook on how to upgrade to newer release of FreeBSD.

Ok,
We got another box up with freebsd 9:
Code:
FreeBSD www 9.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE #0: Tue Jan  3 07:46:30 UTC 2012     [email]root@farrell.cse.buffalo.edu[/email]:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

I installed the portmaster(8) port so I can update all the ports before I start transferring our data....but I ran into an issue that maybe you can help with. On the old box all I had to do to run portmaster(8) was literally type in portmaster.....this new box won't do that, I have to type /usr/local/sbin/portmaster -L
Is there a way to make it so I don't have to do that?

One final question, how do I make sure that I keep the box updated on the OS but without getting myself out there on the bleeding edge?

dpalme said:
On the old box all I had to do to run portmaster(8) was literally type in portmaster.....this new box won't do that, I have to type /usr/local/sbin/portmaster -L
Is there a way to make it so I don't have to do that?
If you installed something new, run rehash. Then it'll work as you expected.

dpalme said:
One final question, how do I make sure that I keep the box updated on the OS but without getting myself out there on the bleeding edge?

Stick to 9.0-RELEASE. You'll be fine for the next couple of years. When 9.1 comes out you can upgrade to that without issues.

Sign up for the freebsd-security-notifications@ mailing list. If there's a security patch available you'll be notified.

Back