Solved Need Interface UP at start without IP address

I am setting up the second physical network interface on my computer to be used by a Virtualbox Windows guest in bridged networking mode. My primary interface is em0, which is configured with a static IP address. The secondary interface is re0, which up to this point has not been configured. To make it work, after making the necessary configurations in the handbook, I simply had to run ifconfig re0 up.

Since the network addressing is handled by the Windows guest at this point, I do not want nor need to set the IP addressing with /etc/rc.conf, but I cannot find any documentation on how I would make sure that re0 is up without giving it any addressing. What would be the proper way to make sure this interface is up when the system starts, but not assigned any address?

but couldn't find that specifically documented anywhere
The value of ifconfig_<int> is put into a ifconfig(8) command almost verbatim. Few notable exceptions are keywords like DHCP, SYNCDHCP, WPA, that sort. You can learn a lot by reading /etc/network.subr where most of the functions regarding interfaces is grouped together. Those functions are called from /etc/rc.d/netif for example.

Back