Need help installing FreeBSD, KDE

D

diggle

Hi I'm new here to FreeBSD. I have looked over the handbook and followed instructions to a T I think.

I have successfully installed Arch with no problems!

I'm using Virtualbox for this.

I have looked at the handbook and was using this video to install FreeBSD

I was following this video

# pkg update # (now the system knows where to get kde4)
# pkg install xorg # (I guess you can skip this one if you already installed xorg)
# pkg install kde

Edit /etc/fstab, add this line:
Code:
proc /proc procfs rw 0 0

Edit /etc/rc.conf, add these three lines:
Code:
dbus_enable="YES"
hald_enable="YES"
kdm4_enable="YES" #(this is if you want the graphical login to start automatically)

Everything else was good but when I try to install KDE. It says something about cannot install the packages.

Please help me I want to try FreeBSD with KDE

Thanks

WHO REMOVED THIS????

I did this too had it in here before. Edit /etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf, replacing latest by release/0.

It's hard to help without an accurate error description.

I put what I did and followed. I will make a video and post it here so you can see what it is doing. Sorry thought that was enough info.

Maybe you or somebody can let me know what I'm doing wrong if something or what I need to do. Thank you.

Everything else was good but when I try to install KDE. It says something about cannot install the packages.

Error output of pkg would help. At the point where you stated "something about can not install" We need the "something".
Without that no one can help you, video is not needed.

Error output of pkg would help. At the point where you stated "something about can not install" We need the "something".
Without that no one can help you, video is not needed.

What would you like me to do to find out whats wrong.

Well actually it did install this time but with few errors I think and something is wrong with it cause it's all black and it should be white in KDE right. I'm just going to post my video so it's easier. It's easier for me to show you. Cause if I didn't do something right and what not you can tell me what went wrong

Here's the video, you see when it loads up some stuff is wrong the panel is black and the menu is black and the widgets aren't loading right. So I had to of installing it wrong or something. Check it out let me know guys thanks.

I watched up to 1:48 and couldn't see anything wrong. In fact, I couldn't see anything.

Sorry for the voices Guys. Didn't know it recorded all that. You can watch the whole thing though or skip to the end at 38.25 and you will see what I mean. Why do I have errors?

I watched up to 1:48 and couldn't see anything wrong. In fact, I couldn't see anything.
What do you mean. Skip to the end at 38.25 and watch from there. Also go to Youtube and watch it apparent if I try to watch it on this page its really BIG and the quality isn't really good as 1080p.

I think I know what may be wrong here. In that video they ask you to change the pkg repository to an earlier release because at the time some of the KDE packages were not available. My suggestion would be to repeat the installation without doing the replacement of "/etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf, replacing latest by release/0".

You should only need to do pkg install to get the updated pkg tools and then install the KDE collection normally after that with pkg install kde. Make sure you are using 10.1-RELEASE and also do freebsd-update fetch and freebsd-update install to get all the latest patches.

Other than that the rest of what you have done should work just fine.

I think I know what may be wrong here. In that video they ask you to change the pkg repository to an earlier release because at the time some of the KDE packages were not available. My suggestion would be to repeat the installation without doing the replacement of "/etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf, replacing latest by release/0".

You should only need to do "pkg install" to get the updated pkg tools and then install the kde collection normally after that with "pkg install kde". Make sure you are using 10.1-RELEASE and also do "freebsd-update fetch" and "freebsd-update install" to get all the latest patches.

Other than that the rest of what you have done should work just fine.

I tried that with out doing the replacement of /etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf release/0. And the packages said could not install or cannot find in repositories or something like that.

Also what do you mean I should do pkg install for only tools then do KDE. I'm missing something here that I didn't install before KDE. I only install xorg because I thought that was all you needed to run KDE.

Also how do I do this freebsd-update fetch and freebsd-update install I did not do this at all. Do I put pkg in front of it or leave it like it is one by one?

Thank you @gofer for your help.

OK I got it I think. And I did not do it that way gofer yet. But I might try it that way I'm just curious that way seems logical.

One problem I have this error or notification of something how do I fix this:

xoK0Vqc.png

I believe that FreeBSD with UFS does not support the KDE semantic desktop and that may be where that problem is coming from. I used to get that message, but somewhere along the way it disappeared. Things should work fine anyway.
Also how do I do this freebsd-update fetch and freebsd-update install

Open a terminal, type su and it will ask for root password. Then type those commands.

I believe that FreeBSD with UFS does not support the KDE semantic desktop and that may be where that problem is coming from. I used to get that message, but somewhere along the way it disappeared. Things should work fine anyway.

Open a terminal, type su and it will ask for root password. Then type those commands.

OK I did freebsd-update fetch. And got this
qksuGdw.png

Then I did freebsd-update install and got this

3vRoto3.png

So I did that and got the above things again what should I do now. Thank you.

OK I did that and it does nothing see in screen shots. rebooted and does same nothing happens. Did it like 5 times.

My guess is he ctrl-c the freebsd-update fetch, so freebsd-update install did nothing and no new kernel was installed.

Back