Need Acroread help

Some time ago, I installed Acroread7 from ports with no problem. Now, on a different computer, I'm having no luck with version8.

To begin, I have linux_enable="YES" in my rc.conf file. After su to root, CD to /usr/ports/print/acroread8. I do make install clean, and all seems to go OK. However, acroread8 should appear in /usr/local/bin, but it doesn't. It;s nowhere to be found.

The pkg-message says "To run this, set ADOBE_LANG=%%ADOBE_LANG%%
and use %%PREFIX%%/bin/acroread. (when LANG is set, ADOBE_LANGwill be set automatically based on it)" After lots of Googling, I still haven't a clue about this.

Any help is appreciated.

Does this still happen with an updated set of ports?
[There is no pkg-message at all in the port right now.]

Lowell said:
Does this still happen with an updated set of ports?
[There is no pkg-message at all in the port right now.]

I just updated with portsnap. Fetched 98 patches and 6 new ports or updates. Under /usr/ports/print/acroread8, there is a folder "files" in which the pkg-message exists. Did make install clean, and got the same results. No acroread8 to be found. Tried to open a PDF file with Firefox, got message no helper could be found.

Problem Solved

The other night I heard a clunk from this computer. Everything seemed OK so I thought no more of it until now.

I have twin drives, master & slave, and as I go along, if all is OK, I dd to clone the master to the slave. If something gets broken, I just dd from slave to master. Today when I tried this, dd denied me permisssion. So, I jumpered the slave as master and recoupled the cable. The install went well, the license agreement came up, and acroread8 is up and running. Looks like I need a new hard drive.

Back