Need a cheap gbit NIC?

Hi all, hope this doesnt sound like spam, as I could care less if people bought any, but I just thought I share a link to some cheap D-Link Gbit NIC's that I came across, incase anyone might need one or a few.

http://www.digitalet.com/Items/NET-DGE-530T

$9.70..free shipping. Theyre refurbished, but come with everything.

Listed on the HCL using the sk(4) driver.

Snagged a couple myself, guess I'll know within 7-10 days to how well they work.

I have a similar Dlink, 528-T laying here around somewhere.
I tested the card, but it doesn't achieve the speed I get on the
onboard NIC's in my HP servers.
About 88 MB/s for the Broadcom NICs in the HP servers and around,
67MB/s for this Dlink card. The lower speed is most likely because
it runs on a PCI-bus.

Yeah, I wouldnt imagine they are as fast, I just had an extra Milan Gbit switch laying around, and a recent server I brought home has onboard broadcom Gbit chipsets also, so I figured Id upgrade the little LAN on the cheap.

Running a cam on the server, and although Im far from maxing the connection, was hoping to reduce the latency a little if possible. Just using the onboard 100Mbit Realtek as of now on this machine.

The price looks good, but can someone explain the advantage of gbit (if any) on a pci bus?

OJ said:
The price looks good, but can someone explain the advantage of gbit (if any) on a pci bus?

It's a cheap way to add a gigabit ethernet port to older computers
or should I see desktop computers that do not have an onboard gigabit NIC. You can even plug this one in a PCI-X slot.
Most servers have PCI-X slots, which are mostly not available on normal cheap desktop PCs. PCI-E (10) gigabit ethernet cards are also available, but are still more expensive and you require ofcourse an available PCI-E slot.

Dru said:
Yeah, I wouldnt imagine they are as fast, I just had an extra Milan Gbit switch laying around, and a recent server I brought home has onboard broadcom Gbit chipsets also, so I figured Id upgrade the little LAN on the cheap.

Running a cam on the server, and although Im far from maxing the connection, was hoping to reduce the latency a little if possible. Just using the onboard 100Mbit Realtek as of now on this machine.

The PCI NIC is more than fast enough.
I even used gimp to process 15Mp images through an ssh connection with this NIC and it works fine. For file transfer I've noticed that the bottleneck is still the harddisk.

Back