How i can allow access ${myexternalip} port 80 and 443 from localnet

I have settings like:
Code:
${fwcmd} nat 1 config if ${iiface} same_ports \
    redirect_port tcp 192.168.0.99:80 80 \
    redirect_port tcp 192.168.0.99:443 443

${fwcmd} add 50 nat 1 ip from any to ${myexternalip} in via ${iiface}
${fwcmd} add 51 nat 1 ip from "table(1)" to any out xmit ${iiface}

Is 192.168.0.99 a system on your internal network, or an address on this system?

How i can allow access ${myexternalip} port 80 and 443 from localnet

Your network topology isn't clear enough from the above.

On which iface is $myexternalip ?

Please show ifconfig for both inside and outside interfaces, and what kind of addresses are in table(1)? (obscured if need be)

Is 192.168.0.99 a system on your internal network, or an address on this system?
192.168.0.99 in my localnet 192.168.0.0/24

2rxte.png

Ho i can realize this "Proper Hairpin NAT" with ipfw?

As this is a web connection (ports 80 and 443), a reverse proxy is a good alternative. Has a few other benefits too (like being able to load-balance between two or more backend webservers).

My problem, in 443 80 port (it used in forum thread only for simplification), in my real situation use other ports/services.

Main question of thread is about network situation where need fix source ip of lan clients (reply from server need forward back to router, not direct to client by localnet)

Do not use this it's just an example and should not be used.

ipfw nat 1 config if ${external_if} log deny_in same_ports redirect_port tcp 192.168.3.11:80 80

ipfw add 50 nat 1 ip from 192.168.3.201 to any via ${iiface}
ipfw add 51 nat 1 ip from 192.168.3.11 to any via ${iiface}

For the uninitiated, it's instructive to know that:
  1. in any IP stack, all IP addresses on a host are accessible from any NIC on that host;
  2. hairpin NAT enables access to the external Internet IP address of a server by internal clients reaching that server by routing through the firewall; and
  3. internal connections reaching the Internet server via its external address and the firewall must be returned via the firewall -- and not via the direct internal network connection -- because the TCP connection is established and therefore exists via the firewall.
Hairpin NAT ensures that rule 3 is observed. The crude logic looks like this:
Code:
+--------+        +--------+
|Internal|<------>|Firewall|-----> Internet
| Client |        +--------+
+--------+             ^
Not |                  |
to  |                  |
be  |                  |
used|    +--------+    v
    +----|Internet|----+
         |Service |External Address of Service
         +--------+
The OP's diagram came from this StackExchange post, which I bookmarked about 10 years ago when I was figuring out how to support hairpin NAT on my own firewalls. It's worth a read, just for background.

Split DNS does mostly solve the theoretical problem (so internal clients use the internal address, and external clients use the external address), but not completely. With split DNS the external and internal port numbers must be identical. Wanting hairpin NAT is a therefore a valid thing, because it lets you re-arrange the port numbers.

Split DNS does mostly solve the theoretical problem (so internal clients use the internal address, and external clients use the external address), but not completely. With split DNS the external and internal port numbers must be identical. Wanting hairpin NAT is a therefore a valid thing, because it lets you re-arrange the port numbers.
Still not feeling it. If you need to do port redirection for some reason, do it on the server itself with pf(4) or ipfw(8) or whatever you like. That way you're not stupidly loading your gateway with extra traffic and NATting for machines that can simply communicate directly with each other.

I believe that there are situations where hairpin NAT makes sense (and why commercial firewalls support it).

If you run a split DNS, you probably already have the solution you want. But some people outsource their external DNS. One extra hairpin NAT forwarding rule is simpler to do and manage than setting up and getting the delegation for a complete new DNS service.

The fact idiot product managers at Ubiquity or Eero or whatever don't understand split-horizon DNS does not make hairpin NAT a good idea.

id run either split dns or a simple multiport forwarder on the internal interface and thats it
also portable between ipfw/pf/ipf/whatever (i even used inetd+netcat for this in some cases)

The fact idiot product managers at Ubiquity or Eero or whatever don't understand split-horizon DNS does not make hairpin NAT a good idea.
What if my services not use DNS it all, only IP Address ?
Manufactures of network routers not idiots, because exist situation where router forward external ports, and local users need access it from local net, without theorea about right DNS settings, just work, it simple.
And about split-horizon DNS, this is not good idea to modify DNS records, in some situation this modification can be detected via record-sign checksum and etc, this is not workaround of problem.

Point me to article or wiki how to config ipfw for Hairpin NAT
Sadly, my firewall experience is not on FreeBSD, and I have no specific knowledge of ipfw. Hopefully, others will help.

I don't know of any specific article or wiki for this, and I must assume that StreamThreader is quite familiar with ipfw(8).

I've been thinking about how to implement "proper hairpin NAT" in ipfw according to that diagram, and have a couple of ideas.

However I won't be back here for 6 hours or so, timezone mismatch, so if anyone else has any clues?

Do not use this it's just an example and should not be used.

The example you posted was in an unlabeled box that failed to quote here (how did you do that?) so I've copy/pasted it here as code:

Code:
ipfw nat 1 config if ${external_if} log deny_in same_ports redirect_port tcp 192.168.3.11:80 80

ipfw add 50 nat 1 ip from 192.168.3.201 to any via ${iiface}

ipfw add 51 nat 1 ip from 192.168.3.11 to any via ${iiface}

I'm struggling to see how this works according to that diagram, especially for the return packet #2?

Could you expand a bit on the two packet flows, given that 'ordinary' NAT needs to occur as well for ordinary traffic from ${inet} through gateway to outside, and back on return?

Couldn't rule 50 equally apply to other inside clients, and so be

(Edit, not enough sleep:
'from any in recv ${iiface}' (rather than via, which can refer to xmit iface also))

'from any to $external_IP via ${iiface}'

Which still needs separate nat config and rule/s for ordinary LAN access to net?

Thanks, Ian

Main question of thread is about network situation where need fix source ip of lan clients (reply from server need forward back to router, not direct to client by localnet)
Try to use some kind of TCP/UDP proxy instead of NAT.
In some cases I use simpleproxy() for portforwarding.
It works for me for the case when a local client connects to proxied port on the external interface.
Example: simpleproxy -L <externalIP>:extport -R 192.168.x.x:localport

Also you can try to use "nginx streams" as a TCP proxy. It is a more reliable solution.
Code:
load_module /usr/local/libexec/nginx/ngx_stream_module.so;

stream {
        log_format basic '$remote_addr [$time_local] '
                 '$protocol $status $bytes_sent $bytes_received '
                 '$session_time';
        access_log  /var/log/nginx/stream_access.log basic;
        upstream rdp {
                server <LOCALorDEST_IP>:<DESTINATION_PORT>;
                        }
        server {
                listen          <EXTERNALIP>:<EXTPORT>;
                proxy_pass      rdp;
                }
        }

Point me to article or wiki how to config ipfw for Hairpin NAT

Have you tried what VladiBG suggested yet? If it doesn't work, please show details of what happens.

Note that your nat config specified 'if ${iiface}' instead of VladiBG's ${external_if}.

Still wondering what table(1) might contain?

You don't need separate nat rule. You can easy merge both of them into one

ipfw add 50 nat 1 ip from any to any via ${iiface}

Back