NanoBSD Build "FileSystem Full" error code

Capture d’écran 2023-05-02 095729.png

I made a vm with 12 cores 6 gigs of ram and 90 GB of storage, and every time I run the nanobsd.sh script it gives the filesystem full error even I have plenty of storage left.

Please don't post pictures of text. Just copy/paste the data, preferably in a [code]...[/code] block.

NanoBSD newbie here too. Ran into the same issue and got stuck. The solution wasn't immediately clear and the handbook didn't have anything that helped point towards a solution.

The error made me think my computer's entire filesystem was running out of space, which wasn't true. I didn't know until I came across this post that NanoBSD was building images that had a max-size limit. Nor did I think to look in the log file above the error... it didn't seem related, so I just ignored it. This is starting to make more sense now!

Increasing NANO_MEDIASIZE to 20000000 (10x the original value, from 1 GB to 10 GB) worked.

I watched the image/folder sizes during the build and many of them went past 1 GB. The final image comes in at 2.7 GB. I'm doing a default build without any customizations.

Here's the output from the _.cs log file when the build fails because of that disk space issue:

Code:
/usr/obj/nanobsd.full/_.mnt/./usr/lib/libxnet.so
/usr/obj/nanobsd.full/_.mnt/./usr/lib/libkafs5.so
/usr/obj/nanobsd.full/_.mnt/./usr/lib/libtacplus.so.5
/usr/obj/nanobsd.full/_.mnt/./usr/lib/libosmvendor.so
/usr/obj/nanobsd.full/_.mnt/./usr/lib/pam_unix.so
/usr/obj/nanobsd.full/_.mnt/./usr/lib/libprivatezstd.acpio: Write failed: No space left on device
Running exit trap code
Filesystem 1K-blocks   Used  Avail Capacity iused ifree %iused  Mounted on
/dev/md0a     463147 463015 -36919   109%    1372 59010    2%   /usr/obj/nanobsd.full/_.mnt

And the same log file after a successful build after increasing NANO_MEDIASIZE:

Code:
/usr/obj/nanobsd.full/_.mnt/./conf/default/var
/usr/obj/nanobsd.full/_.mnt/./conf/default/etc
/usr/obj/nanobsd.full/_.mnt/./conf/default/etc/remount
/usr/obj/nanobsd.full/_.mnt/./.profile
/usr/obj/nanobsd.full/_.mnt/./COPYRIGHT
6081619 blocks
Filesystem 1K-blocks    Used   Avail Capacity iused  ifree %iused  Mounted on
/dev/md0a    4817114 3065696 1366049    69%   25357 601329    4%   /usr/obj/nanobsd.full/_.mnt

Now I'm wondering... why does the default build fail? Is it because the default build includes a lot of packages that more experienced users would cull, saving space from the final build image and bringing the result down within the 1 GB quota? Or is this perhaps just a typo in defaults.sh that should be corrected?

Either way I'd like to add some helpful hints to the handbook to help others starting out on this journey.

Back