nanobsd-alike for Linux?

Greetings, All! Can someone point me in the right direction: I'm looking for a way to build a nanobsd-alike install image for Linux.

My goal is to prepare a pre-built Linux environment for GPU video transcoding since, sadly, Nvidia chose not to support FreeBSD for CUDA toolkit. Therefore I'll need to pick either of Nvidia-supported Linux distributions and make an image that includes CUDA runtime, ffmpeg and a handful of packages for management & monitoring, able to run from a read-only root filesystem with support for /etc persistency. Most tutorials are about how to make a bootable Linux from install media, which is not what I seek. Can anyone point me in the right direction or maybe propose better search terms? Thanks in advance!

PS: Nvidia supports OpenSUSE, CentOS and Ubuntu (plus few commercial distributions).

Are you able to work with OpenCL instead? Then Intel and AMDs GPUs should be fine on FreeBSD.

If you are stuck with Nvidia, a fellow user might have a workaround for an ICD (on the UE4 thread):

Relevant bits: ICD loader and Mesa patches. Nvidia doesn't provide a native ICD for FreeBSD at the moment and it's not clear whether they are planning to do it; there is a possible workaround (more on that later).

I wonder if this is able to work with OpenCL or is it Vulkan specific?

Nvidia implements video decoding and encoding in hardware, same goes for deinterlacing and video scaling. A low-level Quadro can handle real-time adaptive encoding of several HD channels with ease, all for less than USD 500 / 75 Watts. Not sure if Intel/AMD have something similar, but frankly, I haven't looked into it, either.

I was thinking about using PXE/TFTP/NFS for Linuxes. Even if it doesn't work, being able to boot Linux from a read-only NFS is a half win.

Are you saying you don't actually need CUDA?
Not sure. Compiling hardware-accelerated ffmpeg requires Nvidia's CUDA toolkit (seems to depend on Video Codec SDK) plus plenty of X11; currently 12 Gigs are used on an Ubuntu build machine. Only runtime support for that ffmpeg (without development packages) weights 3,4 GB. Its a bit hard to tell what is used and what is not. And, by some reason, installing Nvidia runtime installs half of X11, as well. As far as I understood, hardware acceleration uses Nvidia's NVDEC, NVENC and some whatever-it-is-called GPU core being able to accelerate some video filters.

Seems that VDPAU takes care for decoding only. But it is encoding that needs a lot of resources. And being a transcoding server, there is really no need to display the video anywhere.

Not sure. Compiling hardware-accelerated ffmpeg requires Nvidia's CUDA toolkit

I think FFmpeg only requires https://github.com/FFmpeg/nv-codec-headers.

As far as I understood, hardware acceleration uses Nvidia's NVDEC, NVENC and some whatever-it-is-called GPU core being able to accelerate some video filters.

My point is that CUDA is a relatively general purpose programming toolkit and NVENC appears to make use of some fixed-function hardware, a use case where CUDA wouldn't be needed. This doesn't necessarily mean NVENC isn't partially implemented in CUDA, hence the question.

FFmpeg at least calls cuInit in libavcodec/nvenc.c.

Seems like this takes care for loading CUDA runtime dynamically, in run-time. Ubuntu's ffmpeg is not linked against CUDA runtime, only libnppig.so.9.2 and libnppicc.so.9.2; loads libcuda.so.1, libnvcuvid.so.1 and libnvidia-encode.so.1 dynamically with dlopen(3), however...

My point is that CUDA is a relatively general purpose programming toolkit and NVENC appears to make use of some fixed-function hardware, a use case where CUDA wouldn't be needed. This doesn't necessarily mean NVENC isn't partially implemented in CUDA, hence the question.

FFmpeg at least calls cuInit in libavcodec/nvenc.c.
... seems like x11/nvidia-driver takes care for OpenGL only and contains just libcuda.so.1.

Back