• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Nagios network traffic monitoring plugin for FreeBSD

pdns

Is there a network traffic plugin for Nagios on FreeBSD? Something that can measure transit bytes rate and receive bytes rate?

usdmatt

Daemon

I graph network traffic in Cacti by just installing net-snmp on my FreeBSD machines and using standard snmp support like any other network device.

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

It's fairly easy to write a custom script for Nagios. You can get most of the info you're looking for with netstat(1) (specifically look at the -I option).

Personally I prefer Zabbix as it's pretty much a combination of Nagios and Cacti. With Zabbix it's really easy to add thresholds to alert on.

usdmatt

Daemon

I would expect it to be not too difficult to get Nagios to query an snmp device and alert based on it. Surely it's a fairly common requirement to alert based on traffic for a switch/router/etc. (although it's slightly tricky with network throughput as you really need to look at the differences between readings to know what the throughput is). I only use Nagios for basic service (http/ping/smtp/etc) monitoring.

As SirDice says you can also just write a simple script that pulls the info from FreeBSD and outputs the relevant string and exit code depending on the result.

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

As SirDice says you can also just write a simple script that pulls the info from FreeBSD and outputs the relevant string and exit code depending on the result.
Yeah, that's what I would do. But I like to use SNMP solely for network devices that have no other way to get statistics. But, as you say, it can be enabled of course and would provide a fairly 'standard' way of monitoring bandwidth usage.